Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1980 JD 410 Hydraulic issues..

SHOOTERLYNXMC · 2020-11-16 10:38

Hello everyone. this is my first post & I'm sure I'll get some great info here. I am working on a JD 410 & the issues started with the steering not working as smoothly as it used to. At this point if you start to steer in either direction & let go of the steering wheel it will continue to full lock on it's own. Secondly as I was using the hoe last time it started to feel sluggish & weak so I stowed it & when I attempted to raise the bucket to drive it into the shop I had nothing. It took 5 minutes to get it off the ground enough to drive without dragging. We did lose the big hose from the pump to the cooler early this spring & I don't believe the correct fluid was put back in to top it off. Would a standard hydraulic fluid (AW46) cause any of these issues? Finally, if I want to drain all of the fluid out of this unit to put all new & correct fluid back in is there a standard procedure other than loosening the lines on all cylinders? Thank you in advance for any help you can provide. Yes, this is an old military owned piece......

Replies6
  1. #1mg23612020-11-16 12:14

    Welcome to HEF Shooter ! Is this the backhoe you have?

  2. #2Tinkerer2020-11-16 12:27

    Welcome to HEF, shooterlynxmc !

  3. #3SHOOTERLYNXMC2020-11-16 12:57

    Thank you & Yes sir, although it isn't that pretty anymore. I drained the hydraulic fluid from the trans before lunch. Looks like I have to move the hyd filter & it's housing + the rt rear tire to get at the fitting hiding the screen.

  4. #4SHOOTERLYNXMC2020-11-16 12:59

    Thank you sir.

  5. #5mg23612020-11-17 04:35

    Good place to start. Might as well change the hydraulic and transmission filters too. I would check the destroke solenoid on the side of the main hydraulic pump. Make sure it is only getting voltage when cranking. No voltage when running. I would remove it also to see if the O-rings are OK and to hotwire it in the bench to make sure the spool inside moves.

  6. #6SHOOTERLYNXMC2020-11-17 07:10

    Thank you for that advice sir. Back in the shop this morning and I’ll be digging in further. Where I work if the cost to repair exceeds their estimate of the value of the vehicle/ piece of equipment, it will just be turned in & go sit in a turn in lot until disposal. I’m trying to avoid that.