Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1980 New Holland L775 Skid steer slow cranking issues

thatgumwrap · 2023-09-27 12:57

Hello I have owned this machine for about a year. It is a 1980 New Holland L775 with a 4 cyl duetz deisel engine. I had been having an issue on and off where I was dealing with a slow cranking issue. I have replaced battery cables and terminals. One of the first times this happened was when i unknowingly ran the machine out of hydraulic oil. Once I refilled the oil the issue went away. Now my machine is grounded. I have tried other batteries, different chargers. Tried running new grounds. The machine will not crank over fast enough to start. Another weird issue is that I tried to jack the loader up to access the starter but I jacked up the entire machine instead of just the loader. Is this a starter issue? is this a hydraulic issue? Where do i go from here? My next step I can think of is to pull the starter off of the machine and have it tested. thank you for your time

Replies4
  1. #1thepumpguysc2023-09-27 18:05

    Have u tried operating the hydraulic levers while cranking, just to see if it’ll put a different load on it.??

  2. #2stourpaine2023-10-01 19:14

    put a amp clamp on the positive wire that goes to the starter so how much it draws.

  3. #3stourpaine2023-10-01 20:09

    assuming all your cables connections and battery are good then a200-250 amp dc starter draw would be ok i think on this size of a engine....more you have either a bad starter or something dragging check for a voltage drop at the pull in wire on the starter solenoid. low voltage here will not pull the solenoid internal connections together hard enough to make a good connection. how is the hydraulic pump driven? if its a belt take it off. tempary try to crank with out it on. next is the alternator partially siezed? if not remove starter and bench test it for dragging and amp draw. if all good there. is you engine tight ie spun a bearing etc etc

  4. #4stourpaine2023-10-01 20:11

    sorry guys didnt know this post was so old!!! it must be fixed by now