I have a case 1840 skid steer. The previous owner pulled it backwards and said that after that he noticed that when he throttles it all the way up it would run for about 10 minutes fine then after the 10 minutes the motor would sound fine but it would not move. I have noticed that it does this as well and all you have to do is completely throttle it down and it will move again. What is the problem and how can I fix it?
First guess, the charge pump is losing it's prime, do you lose bucket lift and tilt at the same time? Tried changing out the hyd filter? By the way, pulling any hydrostat machine is a nono, if you didn't know.
I know that. The previous owner is the one one that made that mistake for me. I still have full use of the lift and tilt when motion stops
I think an 1840 would be from the mid 90's not the 80's.
If idling down lets it start to work again it does sound like either the charge pump has a problem, maybe a plugged intake strainer if it has one or there is a suction leak going to it.