Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1980ish 24v system (pos or neg) for ground?

jonno634 · 2024-11-20 17:16

So, on my Michigan scraper, it’s 24volt (Detroit engine). It is currently wired as Neg ground (new batteries), so not sure if they are correct or not. The book I have (That is close to my model, but not exact) says that it should be Pos ground. I am wondering if it’s connected backwards? When it’s running the amp meter is showing discharge (that’s what got me wondering). Is there a good way to tell?

Replies2
  1. #1Diesel Dave2024-11-20 22:03

    What’s on it for charging system components ? They may be marked indicating neg or pos ground.

  2. #2Shimmy12024-11-20 22:11

    My experience with positive ground systems is if you hook them up backwards, there will be some fireworks. If the starter works, I'd say it's been converted. Ammeters showing discharge while running usually indicate a non-functional charging system. I'm speculating here, but maybe a positive ground ammeter might show discharge if installed in a negative ground system? What does the generator/alternator show with a VOM while running? If it shows more than 25V, I'd say you have a wrong or faulty ammeter.