Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1981 589C lost forward

bigg ยท 2012-07-12 21:26

using the 580 today all was fine after lunch no forward [ creeps a little ] reverse seems fine. checked fluid .ok. can anyone tell me what i don't want to here !

Replies8
  1. #1Marius2012-07-13 04:57

    Hello, everyone. My first post here... I have an Ford NH 655C with the same problem. I've read about this on other topics, but I cant figure it out if I need to separate the tractor to gain acces to the "problem".

  2. #2trevor b2012-07-13 11:10

    i had that problem with my sk .work's fine all morning stop for lunch after lunch hoe would not move . next morning all fine stop for lunch leave hoe ideling all fine after lunch.turns out shuttle charge pump was worn. when oil got hot if shut down would not pick up prime. if left running all was good trevor b

  3. #3alrman2012-07-13 20:52

    bigg, your problem could be major. If reverse is working OK & forward is not - it usually makes the forward clutch pack suspect. Do a stall test on it & check the engine RPM in reverse, often the convertor is binding & causes the forward to fail. Here's a link to a 580E problem, the shuttles are the same - There are links to other threads there as well. Any questions you have just ask.

  4. #4sheepfoot2012-07-14 18:47

    marius, your machine is not built like the 580c machine, and will need to do several checks before going into the shuttle/trans. First check the fuse block, along with the harness connects, is your machine a power shift, or does it have the 4 speed gear shift lever in the floor, the members need as much info to try to help you out. Thing's on backhoe's include if it's a 4 wheel drive,2 wheel drive,cab unit,4x1 bucket, extend hoe, side shift hoe, hours on unit, this will help you a lot getting the info you need and it's own thread

  5. #5Marius2012-07-16 05:36

    Thank you for your response, sheepfoot. I'm aware that it should be better to have a separate thread, but I need the minimum 3 posts on existing threads to be able to start one. The details are: -it has the 4 speed gear shift lever -4 WD machine -cab unit -extendable hoe (right now, the "arm" is broken) -about 13000hours on it - YES, I know..., but I borrowed it from a friend for unlimited time. He was about to sell it for nearly nothing, or take it to the junkyard. The electronics should be fine (and no problem for me as I'm an electronics engineer), as the tractor tries to move forward, and moves fine in reverse. I also noted the last time I drove it, that for going forward, I would need to accelerate harder than before. Aslo it is scary that when descending, the tractor speeds up, but the motor doesn't. I won't tell you how close I was to a bad accident, because of that and the worn brakes... I guess I'll have to learn what "power shift", "4x1 bucket" means. Side shift hoe, I think it means the ability of the hoe to be positioned anywhere from left to right, which it has.

  6. #6sheepfoot2012-07-16 12:29

    Marius, there is a small plate on the floor board below the brakes, remove it and you will see the top of the trans, if you have to go into it you have to bring the engine/trans out as a complete unit out the front and it is a lot of work both way's, the valve on top of the trans is the F/R block and the foward coil pack is a heavy duty while the reverse is a standard. The F/R lever on the steering tube will also wear out causing it to lose contact to the coil packs. I run a temp line with a fuse to the foward coil, unplug splice in at the coil hot and ground, use a switch on one feed if needed, make sure area is clear, start unit and engage the switch and drive. If the unit pulls like it should you need to take a closer look at the F/R lever. I will put some more info on pressure testing tonight. If you don't have a parts book go to newhollandna.com, have to be on the const equip setting and go to the parts lookup, type in your 655E it will bring up your parts brakedown so you can see what your into. You can also order the service book on line download for around 30-100 dollars and it will be needed if you go into it, I had done a line bore to one less than six months ago, the iner bore that controls oil flow to the clutch packs shaft, would not allow the shaft seals to seal causing it not to pull in foward. ask if needed but tests need to be done like said, before a removel so all issues can be addressed.

  7. #7sheepfoot2012-07-16 18:09

    Marius, scratch the last post, got the wrong machine in my head you said C and i was thinking E series that are not the same, found all but the c service books and will look later when at the shop to get some pressure spec's.

  8. #8Marius2012-07-17 03:44

    Thank you for your efforts, sheepfoot. Much appreciated. Anyway, the situation is that now I don't have the time and logistics to take the tractor apart. This will be delayed till I'll build my own house, and after that, I will be able to do any repair will be necessary. For now I will settle for injection pump that needs to be serviced, the extendable hoe, and the numerous leaks everywhere. However, I will take a look at the transmission as you told me. I mention that it seems to be moving better when cold.