Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1981 Case 680G boom not swinging

paulroy2011 · 2016-05-31 14:35

Hi all, I`m new to this forum. I just got an old case 680G. When I go to swing with the pedals it won`t swing until I actuate one of the boom or other hoe cylinders. Ànyone have any ideas why this would happen? Thanks

Replies2
  1. #1sheepfoot2016-06-05 22:37

    You will more than likely need to remove the circuit relief valves, upper and lower on each section boom/stick/bucket/swing and replace the load check o rings and backup rings. They need to be ordered from case. These are a common issue with the valves used on those machines. Wash the upper and lower valve area, release pressure on the system moving the levers, unscrew the relief as a unit, once out you have to reach in the bore and pull the load check plug, spring and plunger out. Install the new o ring and backup ring and reinstall. I would not upset the relief valves other than the few o ring seals that you will see once screwed out where it seals on the lower end and at the threaded top. Always check for trash/mud under the pedals for the foot swing, if it has a extenda hoe make sure the lever is free and returns to center. You could have some other issues, i would bet on those o rings and backup rings.

  2. #2paulroy20112016-06-06 07:29

    Ok thanks for the response. I will order the seals and O rings and give that a go.