Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1981 Ford 555c

marc0490 ยท 2010-07-01 15:34

Hello all this is my first post and backhoe.In the cab of my backhoe there are 2 dipsticks.Should I be pouring hyd fluid in those or just filling it in the front by radiator.What type of hyd. fluid should I be putting in heavy duty or a trans type of hyd. fluid.I am a car guy but I dont know a thing about these.I most likely will be buying all fluids from Tractor Supply they seem to be the cheapest so a recommendation on what type and where would be great. Thank You Marc

Replies7
  1. #1gggraham2010-07-01 17:00

    Go to an authorized dealer and get the proper fluids for the machine. They could also supply you with an operators manual with all the details of service. Since you just bought it wouldn't it be best to start fresh. Change all the fluids and filters so from this point on you'd know that the oils were correct and changed at regular intervals. Cheap oil won't save you much and repair costs far out weigh the cost of a transmission failure due to cheap oil.

  2. #2Mikefromcny2010-07-02 01:21

    The C's were made from 89-92 On my '82 555, the dipstick closest to the front of the cab is for the transmission, there rear one is for rear end.

  3. #3jimg9842010-07-02 08:32

    Tractor Supply premium hydrualic tran fluid is good for use in both transmission and rear end never hear os a 1981 555C.... 555 555A 555B 555C 555D is the way they made and listed they numbers........ but got a very good machine if its beat to death GL i got 555A XL it is a horse

  4. #4marc04902010-07-03 13:38

    I thank you for your input but wasnt looking to be sent to the dealer.

  5. #5El Hombre2010-07-04 09:37

    Get the correct Ford oil, at least for the rear axle. Your hoe has wet brakes in the rear axle, wrong oil and the brakes chatter and groan. Don't ask me how I know.....

  6. #6daman2010-07-04 11:28

    In that tractor a UTF 134D FORD spec oil will work in every sump but the engine. thats.... trans Rear end Hydraulics power steering one oil.

  7. #7marc04902010-07-07 10:33

    Do you know of anywhere you could get a 55 gallon drum to maybe save money my local place wanted 60 plus for 5 gallons