Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Going to look at a 3cx tomorrow…what to look for

joispoi · 2010-06-30 18:12

I'm going to take a look at a JCB 3CX tomorrow. I'm not in a hurry to buy, but the price is low (but it could be high for what it is). Here's what I know about it: the swing on the hoe is not functioning properly...is there a common weak point on the swing? I'm guessing there's slop in all the bushings and the hoe controls are probably a bit tempermental. The tires aren't down to the belts yet. It's just been sprayed, there's no cab glass, it does have a quick hitch, extenda hoe, 4 in 1 and pallet forks. If I buy it, it will be for farm use. What are the critical points to inspect on this one? Thoughts>

Replies6
  1. #1cps2010-07-01 05:13

    Those older 3cx s were a real good machine! the slew problem may be just seals in the slew rams, or worst case there may well be alot of wear in the kingpost and carriage (see pics) check around this area for play! all these parts can be repaired/replaced but could be costly

  2. #2joispoi2010-07-01 05:32

    Well, I just got back from looking at it. He wants 4,500 euros with the vat. The king pin is rotating in the carriage. It needs all new tires. The shuttle shifter has been replaced with a toggle switch on a box. The seat is a office swivel chair that's been adapted...not uncomfortable I might add. There's slop in the hoe controls. The left brake goes right to the floor. The right brake holds well and the pedal is high. The hydraulic pump is new. He had a stainless steel exhaust fabbed up for it. The turbo is new. I think I might go for it. At that price, I can always re-sell to recoupe the money I would think. I'm going to price out tires. I don't want to sink a lot of time and money into this machine. What are your thoughts on the price?

  3. #3joispoi2010-07-01 09:51

    After some hemming and hawing, I came to my senses. I don't need another project to sink money into. ointhead I think it will cost me less to spend more up front. Thanks for your help CPS.:drinkup

  4. #4cps2010-07-01 13:29

    Yea that could be best!! the carriage would sting you about €2000 alone not inculding labour! still at that best could be a good by for someone!! My father bought an old JCB 530b telehandler about 3 years ago at what he thought a good price! spent the same again on it! cost about the same as a good straight younger model!

  5. #5gpap1232010-07-01 15:45

    I think i have the same 3cx in better condition overall. This will be it's last year because every week i have a problem.. i hope to go on this summer... However, the price of 4.500 euros i think is very good BUT... you will need lot of repairs... So i agree to you!! friendly advice gpap

  6. #6jcb19682010-07-02 04:42

    That 3CX needs too much money spent on it before you can use it! I would walk away