Hey....time of the year to roll rocks around. My TD 8E is in reasonable shape, it has a strong motor and good tranny. The undercarriage is so-so.....the previous owner/seller replaced the pins and bushings and sprockets, on the cheap, and neglected the rollers and idlers......live and learn. I'll make those repair decisions later, unless I get boxed-in with the answer to this question. My left track adjuster was leaking slightly.....today while pushing, the right one popped. I kept the track on and retensioned it enough to get it out to the "work" area (shade tree). The seal kits are about $20 each......I was a Marine Corps mechanic....and have had rubber tired, heavy machinery most of my 40 years of tree farming.......We have tools up to 1" drive. CAN I REPLACE THE ADJUSTER SEALS WITHOUT SPLITTING THE TRACKS :Banghead??? That is the "easy" question. If I have to split the tracks.....does anyone have a link to the process for this dozer. Any links to the manual would help. I need to locate a reprint service manual, or luck into an original on EBay. If I have to split the tracks, I might have to go ahead and do some roller work....ANY suggestions from those of you who have done this would be appreciated.
td8e track seal you have to get the track off some way, the front idler has to slide all the way off, if track is out as far as it goes, it might keep blowing seals, they should be a bolt sticking up to stop the idler, if so it is out as far as it goes, take idler off seal is easy put in. you will have to break track unless you have enough slack to get track off of the idlerf
Yeah, I am starting to get a sense of it now. It looks like I will have to break the track and the seal replacement is an easy fix. I have never "driven" out a master pin and split a track. I have wrestled a few tracks back on whole with come-alongs, cribbing and cat-bars. I guess I just go at the master pin. I have been told to burn a hole in the end of the master pin to hold a punch.....drive it out.......and then replace it with a new one. Anybody have any "shade tree" pin-driving tips....me and my son are tall, pretty strong..... we try and stay away from each other swinging a maul.
master pin should have a little hole in it, that is how you find the pin.