Ok so I have this 1982 ford 555 backhoe and the exhaust pipe going to turbo was broken so I replaced it and afterwards it wouldn't start .I thought the injector pump was bad so I had it rebuild and after putting it back on with it timed at 0 and the system bleed of all air I have still been unable to get it to try to start even if I spray either to it still nothing but turns over and help what I might can try would be great and thanks
Take the pipe off and see if it’ll start. There’s a bleed screw by the name plate 5/16 wrench.. Loosen the lines at the injectors and crank the engine.
I have everything bleed out with the fuel system . It's almost like it's not getting air cause even spraying either in it dont help to even try to start
The 555 didn't come with a turbo so someone added it. Maybe they changed the timing but it's more likely that she's not getting fuel. Might have to remove the pump and take it back to the shop that rebuilt it to determine if they made a mistake.
I have been told that before about the turbo and it maybe have been added but im not sure . If it wasn't getting fuel then it would still try to crank on the either right ? Which it doesn't and if the turbo was bad could it cause my problem?
U aren’t the first person to say it won’t hit on ether.. It’s something to do w fords.. They don’t hit on starting fluid.. Idk why.. Why don’t u UN-DO what u did and see if it starts
Is it turning over fast enough? if it sounds like it's turning over TOO fast, it could have sucked a plastic bag into the intake and plugged up. You should be getting a light mist out of the exhaust if the engine is pumping air and injecting fuel. If you're not getting mist, you should be getting enough air movement to bounce a can on the exhaust pipe. Have you bled the injector lines at the injectors?
Can you post some pics. of the engine and turbo? I'm wondering if the turbo could be hooked up backwards or if there even is a turbo. Seems very strange to put a turbo on a backhoe that already has sufficient power. If there is in fact a turbo who knows how it was hooked up. Could you be confusing turbo with air cleaner? Could it have a Turbo II precleaner? A clogged air cleaner with a broken pipe or hose would do EXACTLY what you're describing. The broken pipe lets air in and fixing it blocks the air. If this is the issue your engine could be in bad shape from sucking in unfiltered air and dirt. TURBO® II PRECLEANER - turbo® Precleaner | Cleaner Air, Longer Engine Life. Durable metal construction, high efficiency, and low restriction, turbo® II is preferred globally by equipment operators in the harshest work environments. turboprecleaner.com
The only way I could undo the pipe is to cut it back out which I tried at first then I thought the injector pump was bad so I had it rebuild and it's still doing the same thing as before but alot more fuel pumping out when I breed the injectors
It has a new battery and is turning over alot better then before and I have pulled the intake off and the exhaust to make sure nothing was blacked and I do have light smoke coming out the exhaust
Air filters r fairly new but I was thinking since it dont seen to be firing on the either then it might not be sucking it into and the turbo doesn't spin while cranking
Have u spun the turbine wheel to MAKE SURE the turbo isn’t seized.?? If u give it a flick with your finger, it outta make a revolution or 2.. How about hanging an injector outside the engine to SEE if it’s firing.. One thing I just thought of:: If u took your pump to a fuel shop, they will go by the name plate pump mdl for the calibration specs.. & if it’s turbocharged, the specs won’t reflect THAT.. because it’s not “supposed to” have 1.. The fuel delivery is A LOT LOWER on a non-turbo engine.. If the pump was set up for a turbocharged engine (more fuel) & u didn’t tell them it was going on a turbocharged engine, they probably turned the fuel DOWN.. It wouldn’t make any difference at cranking but you’ll dam sure notice it at load.. I hope it works out for you..
I have turned it by hand on the intake side of the turbo and it's not stuck and it's getting more fuel now then it was before the pump was rebuilt and im thinking I may need to do a compression check on it but I had pulled the injectors and held a finger in the hole to c if it had any but I didn't have someone to turn it over while I held the gauge but im going to try that as soon as I can get alittle help
Hold the gauge.?? I hope ur not trying to use a gas compression tester.?? A diesel puts out 300 psi minimum.. & that’ll blow up a gas tester.. When ur working by yourself, may I suggest having a “start button”.. it makes life much much easier..
Ok thanks
That's definitely an aftermarket turbo stuffed in there. I only questioned it because I've seen people use the wrong terminology in the past. If you take the air filter right out is the there a straight through path for air to flow? I wonder if blowing compressed air in the intake may make it fire. I'm not well versed in turbo operation but don't some have a bypass or wastewater to limit boost? Wondering if something like that could be why it ran with the broken pipe and doesn't with it fixed. Another thought, can you take the muffler off and see if it will fire. Maybe something is plugging the muffler. I think if exhaust can't get out air can't get in. It could explain the symptoms you're having.
I thought I sent both pictures before and the muffler is off now I wanted to make sure it would start before I put the hood and muffler and pipe back on and im not really sure if the turbo has a waste gate or not that would allow it to bypass or dump and a friend of mine said it could be because of the back pressure it caused by fixing the exhaust pipe to the turbo but I have just about tried everything I know to make it fire up and not even has it tried to bust off but im going to remove the injector pump and be sure it was inline cause I don't believe the gear can jump teeth without it being broke which it wasn't. Just trying to pick others brains to c if something might be the issue
I'd try to eliminate the turbo altogether even with no air cleaner and no muffler just to see if it would fire or even start before I took the IP back off.
Ok I can do that
Might as well eliminate the simplest stuff first before going deeper into it. There seems to be a lot of black ooze coming from the turbo. Added a turbo without changing pistons or anything else might not be the best idea. Reading about other engines there can be a lot of differences internally and IP wise between NA and turbo engines of the same model.
I had tried it before I got the pump rebuilt but not since I got it back on
To diagnose the problem, start with the basics. You need air and fuel to run. For a diesel engine to fire up you need compression. Several have mentioned air cleaner, check your intake path for any restrictions. Then check your exhaust for restrictions. Check and see if you are getting fuel to the injectors. Do not forget to make sure your fuel return is clear and not blocked. In the two pictures I can't see a waste gate. A waste gate is on the exhaust side and at a predetermined intake pressure the waste gate opens a bypass valve to route exhaust around the turbine and thereby lowering/limiting intake boost. Even if the turbo is siezed it will start and run. You just won't have full power. Personally I would remove that added on crap and put it back to stock.Unless you really know what you are doing you can do more harm than good.
Ok thanks and I got a few ideas but we will c if it works
Unless the intake or exhaust is plugged, the turbo won't keep it from starting and idling. you can tell if it's moving air with a can over the exhaust pipe, or a rag or something to show air movement. If you're not getting fog, then I'd look at the injectors and pump and fuel. If you are getting fog, then maybe check timing or compression. Did it run good before the turbo work?
I will check everything again to make sure no blockage is there and as far as I know of the turbo was working fine before
Did you just get the machine or have you had it for a while? Wondering if it was sold because the turbo set up didn't work as planned.
I have had it about 10 years now
I would double check your injection pump timing
I'll just throw this out there as a guess. Are your batteries up to snuff? I've had trouble starting diesels before due to weak batteries not spinning the engine fast enough to make the fuel get hot enough to fire off. Just a thought. Also your original post said it wouldn't start AFTER you replaced the turbo pipe, so something happened during that time and repair operation I would think.
THATS what I KEEP SAYING…
Well about the only thing I can think of is some splatter from welding may have got on a valve not allowing it to close and not have compression and the battery is new 1000 cranking amps turning over really good right now
So there's no blockage and it will bounce a can on the exhaust outlet ,injector pump is timed on 0 degrees and fuel system is bleed out and I ordered a diesel compression kit to be able to check the compression