Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1982 Ford F800 Dump bed operation

richrecovery ยท 2014-02-01 20:36

Hi all - I just picked up an 82 F800 with the 6.1 370, that I plan on using for farm use. It was a deal at $1250 so couldn't pass it up. Plus I wanted something I could mainly use for shavings. Though we will occasionally be getting gravel and sand. It needs some work - but fired up after sitting two years. I was able to find some service manuals so those will help getting it ready for the safety inspection and other issues, but I'm not seeing any info on the dump bed lever operation in them There are two levers on the floor board by the shifter - side by side. I can't seem to get them to budge and don't really want force them until I understand which lever does what. They appear to have been broken at some point and just had metal welded back on. (any source for replacement options?) So basically a newbie question. How do I operate the dump bed? LOL Here are some pics of the truck. I'm also looking for various parts and pieces. If anybody has a recommendation for vendors that would be great as well. Thanks in advance. Joseph

Replies24
  1. #1CM19952014-02-01 20:41

    Welcome to the Forums rich recovery! :drinkup You have got yourself a good ol' girl, there were many of those on the roads and job sites during their time. First check the linkage from the levers to the PTO. I would assume you have a cable shift PTO and there may be corrosion in the cables, the cable is broke or the pto is shot. Start with the simplest first which is the levers, linkage and cable to the PTO.

  2. #2richrecovery2014-02-01 20:47

    Thanks for the welcome. I'll start as suggested - maybe with some lube as well. So would it be then one lever to engage the PTO and the other to raise / lower the bed. I'll grab some pics from underneath next weekend.

  3. #3grandpa2014-02-01 20:57

    Probably (best guess) the closest lever to the driver would engage the pto. You must push the clutch of the truck in to disengage the tranny so the pto gear will engage without grinding. The far lever will be for the valve that raise and lower's the dump bed... back to the seat should be raise...(Again best guess)

  4. #4richrecovery2014-02-01 21:00

    thanks grandpa - we'll give it a try.

  5. #5mitch5042014-02-01 23:46

    Umm, I'm going to disagree with Granpa, (just because I like to). I'm going to say that the levers work opposite from the way he said. The way he said is common, and the exact opposite is common, too. The thing about trucks like this is, Ford never made a dump for that truck. There are probably better than 40 companies that may have made that one. The levers and linkages were usually up to the installer of the bed. The good news is, there are only about 3 makers of PTOs (the add-on gearbox on the transmission that turns the pump), and about 6 main types of pumps that were used. Those levers are probably not connected by cables, but by rods. To make a long story short, get a few pics from the underside and a lot of us on here can tell you what you've got and what it should do, maybe even Grandpa, (if he accidentally took a double dose of his senility meds).

  6. #6grandpa2014-02-02 06:16

    Naw Mitch, your all washed up... the far lever ( the one laying towards the heater box) appears to have more room for travel. That make it the raise and lower function. Kid's these days. :lmao

  7. #7richrecovery2014-02-02 08:09

    HA! - I believe a challenge has been made. I'll get photos up as soon as I can. Right now the truck is sitting about an hour away as we are getting it back to road ready. I'll see if I can locate a manufactures stamp as well. Thanks guys!

  8. #8richrecovery2014-02-02 08:49

    Here is a video of when we first got it going. The video didn't turn out to well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAuPy9j6XwU

  9. #9richrecovery2014-02-10 20:56

    OK - it's the left handle that engages the PTO. Can't get it to budge though. here is directly underneath; which links to the PTO drive; Might have a slight problem here lol. Will get in there and clean it all up. Tagged here; and here - can't make this one out

  10. #10richrecovery2014-02-10 20:58

    also has a tag here - but can't make this one out either. Any thoughts on how to proceed? Thanks.

  11. #11richrecovery2014-02-10 21:02

    different angle

  12. #12HATCHEQUIP2014-02-10 21:06

    keep an eye on those pto joints and keep um greased and don't rev the engine any more than you have to to raise the bed when the pump and pto aren't bolted together and you have a pto shaft like you do high revs or bad joints can cause shaft to sling out and have seen them bust holes in transmission housings just a reminder in case

  13. #13richrecovery2014-02-10 21:11

    Thanks for the heads up - slow and steady - sounds good to me. We'll check the pto shaft and joints while troubleshooting the engagement issue.

  14. #14grandpa2014-02-10 21:18

    Hey Mitch..... you can start eating crow now!!! I'd start by disconnecting the linkage at the pto. Then see if you can move the spool ( probably can't). Your gonna have to drop that pto off anyway because your gonna need a new gasket to reseal it to the transmission and a new seal where that spool is. You will have to drain the transmission to do this. When you get pto off pay special attention to the shim's between the pto and tranny. They set your gear depth.

  15. #15richrecovery2014-02-10 21:26

    Sounds like a job and a half. I'll add it the list and update here when we get to it. Might wait till it warms up a bit...

  16. #16mitch5042014-02-10 21:32

    Well, you guessed right on which lever was which, (had a 50-50 chance) but we don't know yet which way they move. I'm gonna have to agree for a minute that the place to start is taking the pin out of the lever right at the PTO, but I bet the linkage is frozen up. Use a small prybar to see if the PTO will shift, since that lever gives you some leverage normally. If it won't shift, turn the shaft and try again. Does the lever that works the control valve move? Oh please don't mention cold to Granpa, those Minnesota winters have frozen his brain and he thinks the kind of col we get doesn't count. He'll go on about it all night now. Good luck, Mitch

  17. #17richrecovery2014-02-10 21:38

    It moves, but not a lot if I recall. I'll have to check that again. I'll try with the pry bar this weekend if this next winter storm has passed.

  18. #18willie592014-02-10 21:50

    Right, gramps is "the crazy old Aunt in the attic" around here.

  19. #19HATCHEQUIP2014-02-10 22:40

    aunt ? hu must have frozen his tally off to

  20. #20richrecovery2016-01-03 18:16

    Update - kind of put this project on hold there for a while, but have been tinkering along with it here lately. I misspoke about the motor in the original post...this truck has a transplanted 1969 391. We just rebuilt the carburetor, and it is running decent for now. We will have to wait and see what happens. Drove it about 35 miles to the house this weekend and it did well. I was able to engage the the PTO and raise the bed. Still need to clean it up and replace the seals as mentioned, but it went up smooth. Appears the the lever is not engaging the PTO, but goes in smoothly by hand at the linkage. Had another question pop up. Is this a safety? Connected at the actuator and runs to the rear of the bed.

  21. #21mitch5042016-01-03 18:58

    Should pull the valve out of lift and into hold when the bed reaches it's highest point. It keeps the pump from deadheading for too long

  22. #22richrecovery2016-01-03 19:24

    well that makes sense. thanks.

  23. #23Jakex1202020-05-03 20:48

    Glad this post is here..helps me understand the dump bed on my newly acquired 85 f700..haven't got to the point of operating it yet but being my first dump truck this sure helps and lets me know what to look for...by the way is there a hyd fluid reservoir for the dump cyl somewhere on these trucks?

  24. #24mitch5042020-05-03 21:42

    Well, of course Ford had nothing to do with the bed or hydraulic system. So, the answer to your question depends entirely on who built it. Some manufacturers use a separate tank, but a lot of small dump trucks use the rod end of the cylinder for the reservoir.