Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1983 3cx injection pump removal

David560 · 2025-05-01 10:11

Neighbor has a 1983 3cx and asked me to remove the pump so it can be rebuilt. The round center section in the cover in front of the pump has 4 bolts in it, but they seem to not do anything. Do I have to take the entire front timing cover off to access the nut holding the pump shaft?

Replies16
  1. #1Welder Dave2025-05-01 16:56

    What engine does it have? The pumpguy will likely know how it comes off.

  2. #2David5602025-05-01 17:04

    4 cyl Perkins

  3. #3thepumpguysc2025-05-02 07:13

    If it’s a Delphi inj pump, yes, the front cover has to come off. The heads of the pump hold down bolts aren’t visible are they.? U GOTTA TIME IT FIRST AND LOCK IT.

  4. #4David5602025-05-02 07:49

    Thanks. It isn't a Delphi pump. This is a 1983 Perkins, and there is no locking pin, to secure the timing. I have to head back over to the neighbors, to tell you the brand of pump. It Begins with "L. The pump shaft does have a retaining nut that needs be removed, and I thought the 4 bolts in the center section of the timing cover over the pump end would let me remove that 6 inch round plate. If it indeed comes off, it is stuck pretty securely.

  5. #5thepumpguysc2025-05-02 07:58

    It’ll probably be easier on both of us if u snap a picture on ur phone and send it to my phone or email.. Just put: at aol dot com after my screen name in your home mail service. If u would like to send it by text, send me a prvt msg on this site and I’ll shoot u my phone number.

  6. #6David5602025-05-02 08:03

    Thank you so much. I will get back over there later today.

  7. #7thepumpguysc2025-05-02 11:41

    It’s probably a LUCAS/CAV DPA. The front cover in front of the pump should have 5, 1/2”wrench bolts in it.. Once u get that off, there will be 3, 1/2” socket headed bolts..(or 1, 7/8” socket head NUT AND WASHER) Still send me some pics so we can talk apples to apples..

  8. #8David5602025-05-02 16:19

    I didn't get over there today to take pictures. Yes, it's a Lucas pump. I have the bolts out of the round cover, but it is solid. I will try to tap on it with a hammer tomorrow and get pics. Again, many thanks for your insight..

  9. #9HATCHEQUIP2025-05-02 16:23

    TPG you might need to take the better half on vacation for a service call across the pond.

  10. #10thepumpguysc2025-05-02 16:44

    Use a thin gasket scraper to get behind the cover.. BUT.. MAKE SURE u havem all out.

  11. #11thepumpguysc2025-05-02 17:00

    Lol.. (Hatch) I’ve had worse walk-thru’s.. lol Had one last month where the fella never held a wrench.!! I walked him thru removal, how to take pictures (lol) and the reinstallation and TIMING.!!! All for the price of the pump o/h.. Not .01 cent more. I do it more times than not.. I don’t mind.. it just goes to show, I love what I do..

  12. #12HATCHEQUIP2025-05-02 17:10

    I know you do and what a help it is but what I was getting at was that would be the perfect excuse to go see Cork. Something about the green rolling hills of Cork or County Cork or something like that popped in my head when I saw where he was from. Place I've heard about but never been to

  13. #13HATCHEQUIP2025-05-02 17:11

    And of course that would be a business expense

  14. #14thepumpguysc2025-05-02 17:17

    Ya know, he’s not the 1st guy from Cork to come to “our” little forum.. I remember someone else from Cork.. naturally can’t remember what for.. just remember the town.

  15. #15HATCHEQUIP2025-05-02 17:34

    Yep there's several from that neck of the woods, Nige even hailed from close to there at one time I believe.

  16. #16David5602025-05-03 10:16

    TPG Ok, I cleaned that little cover off good, and after an hour was finally able to get it loose. It has probably never been off. The reason the pump failed is that the fuel filters have not been serviced since Noah and his boat were floating around. The primary was totally plugged, with dirt, jelly and only God knows what else. The secondary filter was also compromised. Some debris must have gotten into the pump, because it was pumping fuel, but with not enough pressure to open the injectors. Have the lot out and told the neighbor I am busy for the next 6 years. Thanks so much for your perspective and time.