Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1983 Case 1450B w/A504BDT-Embarking on a journey

sbonvilli1 · 2024-01-24 20:04

Well guys, I am humbly here with hat in hand! I purchased a Case 1450B encroaching on a year ago. It has the infamous hole in the block, but the machine is in decent shape, all-in-all. Picked it up for what I would consider a reasonable price. Also paid to have it hauled to my home here in SW Louisiana. Was told everything worked fine until the rod bearing seizure. I'm by no means a mechanic but consider myself to be somewhat mechanically inclined. The machine came with all of the original owners/service manuals from back in the day. I've been doing alot of reading, both in the books as well as on various informational sites. I have read Bobcat Crazy's post here on HEF at least 4 times in his excursion with his 1150. I have been successful in getting the machine to crank/run, though not so well on 5 cyls (as can be expected) enough to briefly test for final drive movement. Didn't want to run it long in it's current state. Anyways, I purchased a used but seeming to be in good condition block to replace the one that's damaged in the machine. This is by far the biggest challenge I've ever untaken in my life. I'm not really trying to get a machine put together to have on the payroll anywhere, but more of a toy of sorts. I think everyone with a Y chromosome (and even some without!) has wanted a dozer to experience the destructive capabilities within their grasp when saddled up on one of these bad boys. I've also watched some detailed Youtube videos of a mancine excatly like mine that needed a rebuild. Wish me luck, and I am looking forward to this journey and would like to say thanks in advance for answers to the questions that are sure to come! I don't think the engine has ever been gone into and hopefully the crank is salvagable. First step when the block arrives is to get it to the machine shop for magnafluxing and checking to see if decking and all other machine work will be required. Would the experts out there recommend the Reliance engine rebuild kit for the liners, pistons, bearings, gaskets, etc?

Replies9
  1. #1Dave Neubert2024-01-25 06:09

    Relaince is a good quality I use them all the time

  2. #2Vetech632024-01-25 08:01

    Me too.

  3. #31693TA2024-01-25 08:09

    I've heard some not so good things about the brand but know nothing about it myself. Are they building kits from several suppliers and branding them with their name?

  4. #4TallDan2024-01-25 09:28

    Reliance is a quality aftermarket brand used by many. I’m sure there’s issues here and there. They have good support. Of course oem parts would be great. Some of the reliance engine kits for older engines come with taller pistons to increase compression a little that helps starting in cold weather. I’ve used them and they do help. My only advice would be to get oem gaskets for anything you want the best chance of not leaking. Aftermarket gaskets seem so cheap. I would definitely get an oem head gasket at least.

  5. #5Dave Neubert2024-01-25 14:28

    Been using them for 25 years never had a single issue

  6. #61693TA2024-01-25 15:22

    I'm glad to hear positive with them. Typically when the whining starts I head for the cheese aisle to be an accommodating host.

  7. #7Vetech632024-01-25 15:46

    You picked a hell of a journey to embark on my friend. Couldn't you have just gone for a hike or something?

  8. #8sbonvilli12024-02-04 21:10

    Well, I’m hoping I’ve bought myself even more time with the original engines rebuild as I have found a Case 2670 4WD tractor and purchased it this past Friday with a running engine. So I’ll just do a swap and hopefully get the dozer up and running while I take my time rebuilding the other 504BDT.

  9. #9Mcrafty12024-02-05 05:20

    As for aftermarket engine parts/rebuild kits I've used PAI for my truck engines....I have one now in my R model Mack that'll be going on it's 5th? or 6th? summer ( time slips by pretty fast at my age) and it's been excellent, zero issues, I can't personally vouch for Reliance rebuild kits but anything I've heard is all good. Have fun with that dozer, the 1450 is a good size to have around if you don't need to move it off site...or are able to move it yourself.