Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1983 international s1954 throttle promblem

Moose2005 ยท 2016-11-05 19:40

Hi guys, I have a 1983 international s1954 with a dt 466 and an automatic behind it. The throttle cable broke at the injection pump. I made the repair and now it throttles up great but when I put it in gear I lose the throttle and the truck struggles to move and I didn't have this problem before. I am lost on where to go next any help would be great.

Replies1
  1. #1Delmer2016-11-05 23:11

    All I can guess is there's too much slack in the new cable? That's fortunately a simple engine with a simple injection pump (easy to say for someone who doesn't touch them). You want the cable to be loose enough that it reaches the stop or slack with no throttle, and tight enough that it opens the "throttle" shaft as much as it can from the pedal movement. I think you're either leaving some movement unused, or there's something a little more complicated on the linkage on the injection pump shaft, or something happened internally to the injection pump.