Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1983 jd 510b reverser acting up

bigboytoy ยท 2013-02-20 08:40

it had a oil cooler line leak fluid. It then quit going into F&R and did nothing. filled with fluid maybe too full. it worked fine for a ten minute test. 2 weeks later, its 25 degrees outside, I get in it drive home I go 2 blocks shift out of 4 into 2 when I put it in F nothing happens zero.check fuild it appears foamy and full I add more "duh" still nothing I get mad rev it up as the rpm comes down it bites into F. so once it gets the fluid flowing it stays in forward. I drive home a mile its flawless until I stop to shift to 4th I only have to rev it up to get it to kick in. I got a parts repair manual online to see what I am dealing with...so My best guess is fluid and filter change may just fix it...any other wisdom for me out there

Replies13
  1. #1OldandWorn2013-02-20 09:21

    Foamy fluid and having to rev engine may be a hydraulic suction side air leak.

  2. #2bigboytoy2013-02-20 09:39

    even with parts blow up its not clear. the pump appears to not have a suction line? is it a matter of removing bottom plate to see it?

  3. #3OldandWorn2013-02-20 09:57

    I'm not familiar with the "B" so I can't provide much more help but I would guess that the oil cooler is in the suction flow. Does your power steering still work when the machine won't move?

  4. #4bigboytoy2013-02-20 11:22

    upon close inspection from bottom the filter is obvious...the oil is foamy...I need new hoses that go to the cooler rubber has gotten too soft from age I see leaks buried under grease...does any body know path of suction line to pump... example: from near bottom of pan to cooler to fitting higher up on right side to suction side of pump?

  5. #5bigboytoy2013-02-20 11:27

    yes

  6. #6bigboytoy2013-02-20 11:36

    yes the power steering works

  7. #7OldandWorn2013-02-20 11:44

    I might be pointing you in the wrong direction. There may be a small pump inside the trans that works the shuttle. I'll shut up now. :laugh

  8. #8bigboytoy2013-02-20 14:11

    my best shot at this point is the suction air leak theory ...due to bad hoses leaking at the cooler...it makes sense with all the foam it is making...and I can see how that could be overcome with high RPMs and then function normal

  9. #9bigboytoy2013-02-21 17:25

    I changed filters and fluid. also replaced leaking hoses. put in 14 qts as called for...and it is still foaming up....it goes into ForR sooner but it still hesitates 5-10 seconds...once its in F or R it stays engaged...drove it 2 miles to dig site and will check it tomorrow..I am hoping getting it warm and letting just run will get the trapped air out of it..

  10. #10bigboytoy2013-03-06 06:54

    The backhoe returned to running normal...now I notice a rear seal leak when its not running. This may be the original cause. It may just leak out the overfill because it is high up on reverser...I will keep watching.

  11. #11bigboytoy2013-05-25 09:51

    I fixed rear seal..still have issues...I lost a lot of fluid yet it shows right level on stick I put the 14 qts it called for...It ran better overfull.....I believe I am losing my prime to the pump ...and its making a lot of foam...high rpm will kick it in.....I did put check value in I figured it was just running back to the reservoir when not running...meaning bad seal in a check valve?...or needs more fluid....I might try a temporary clear hose to diagnose

  12. #12bigboytoy2013-05-25 11:12

    the clear temporary hose indicates good draw through the cooler...now im leaning towards rebuilding reverser control valves? any thoughts?

  13. #13bigboytoy2013-05-25 12:23

    fixed it ..with age linkage was not returning the clutch to right position...it was like clutch was slightly pressed....forums advice clued me in to check...I simply let it return fast and slam ..it reacted so I adjusted it and now it is better than before..what a simple fix....thanks for the ideas