Lost final drive on one side on case 450c dozer, ordered final with pinion from a equipment place in texas, they only sent the final, no pinion, the pinion on the machine is not missing any teeth, just shows slight wear maybe a little of the hard facing wore off, how can I tell if it will hold up? We put on the final it works fine just wodering if I should find a new pinion and put it in as well, which is a way bigger job, but want the fix to last? thanks for the advice
Yair . . . 707pc50 . If you intend to keep and work the tractor I believe it would be false economy not to replace the pinion. I have no idea of the 450c final drive arrangement or the costs involved but the pinion is usually a highly stressed component and it would be a shame to risk damage to the rest of the drive if it were to fail. I'd keep the old one greased up, rust free ready to install if you do the one on the other side and decide you want to trade the tractor later. Cheers.
I don't know much about it, but the mechanic said you need to pull the Roll over cage and the transmission to get to the pinion, he was all set to do it, then the part showed up with out the pinion so we put it in, Im looking around locally for a pinion, but it is a lot more work. Mechanic doesn't want to put a life expectancy on anything since it is an older machine, Im just wondering what yall think. Thanks
Most of the time the pressure pitting wear will be on the drive side of the pinion gear.If you swap pinions side to side, you will get a new running surface, and the worn side will only be used in reverse.However depending on labor and cost/availability of a new pinion, it may not be cost effective.