Link https://www.apro.bid/auction/6469/item/1985-case-580-super-e-backhoe-fleet-surplus-1395872 So I see this beauty pop up on a local auction and I am super interested for the price but I don't know zero about such machines as far as value, mechanical issues and some operating systems. I will find out but with such short notice I turn humbly to you. Essentially is it worth it? What's up with the sticking brake? Any and all advice welcome. YouTube videos of it running.
Still a couple days left on the auction. Don’t be surprised to see it blow past 5-6k. I’m going to say final bid is somewhere around 8k.
You think it'll hit that high and is worth it? I've been searching for some days now but keep seeing the brake may be a costly fix
8K or more for sure. No cab-- no, thanks.
It's the going price these days for a 2wd straight hoe, no cab or extendahoe.
See a cab isn't something I would even know to look for! It's just for clearing land and such
Well if I'm lucky, in this little town, it'll go for cheap... But a cab is that mandated?
No a cab isn't mandated. Other than having for a comfortable environment to work in, it could save your life by preventing a tree branch or a piece of brush from slapping you up-side the head. It doesn't take much of a branch to destroy an unprotected eye either. I was hit (not hard) two different times by branches. I was in a cab but had the doors open because it was hot out.
Will it go that high? Yes and wouldn’t be surprised to see it higher. Is it worth it? Well as they say the beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I wouldn’t pay that much for it. To be honest I bought my machine in 2019 for 13.5k. To buy the same machine today it would probably cost 25k. Let’s just say I wouldn’t be buying mine again either lol.
That's a fair point. Yes a little bark in the eye and most people are down for the count!
It has the potential for a interesting HEF thread or three . . .
One model of that mosheeen had dry outboard brakes. When the shaft seal leaked, the brakes got wet and really grabby. Sometimes you had to back up a smidge, hear the POP and go on your way. Not a hard job to replace/clean the shoes. A bit more involved to replace the seal.....
No, just another data point for the value. Same with 4wd and extendahoe. If you have spent a few thousand hours in TLB's, you think of all these things.
IF its in good shape, tight and the hours are honest, 8k would be a good buy. Problem with an auction machine is you never know. I realize I’m I the minority now but I actually prefer an open station machine. Give me a good canopy or umbrella and my worktunes ear muffs and I’m good to go.
Oh God..........I can hardly wait!
When I chained up the old SE 2wd, she pushed just fine. Picked up a bucket full of 'damn near ice', and stacked it as well as the 4x4 Super M in my fleet. "Return on investment" is a fascinating study...
I'm not familiar with the E model as much. Sticks in my mind made in Italy. Other Case 580 models are US built & were much more expensive new. 2 wheel drive is NOT attractive to me. I want a torque converter for loader work. Gear only tends to spin the rear wheels when filling front bucket. I hate three lever/foot swing controls. I consider foot swing to be unresponsive & therefore jumpy. I had a 580K with foot swing & converted it to joystick control, not a simple or inexpensive job! Other models have a ductile boom & swing tower. I don't know if that is true of the E. If it is ductile, the over center carry position of the hoe is subject to damage from even a short time with an inexperienced operator & welding it is near impossible. I've heard of $9000. price tag for a used boom. Takes a skilled mechanic four hours to replace a fan belt.
View attachment 284236 View attachment 284236
When I was finished with my shop and wanting to downsize from my Case 780CK tractor, I looked at a 1986 "Super E" as it was 4X4 and had working air conditioning. The then new Case/Cummins engine too. I couldn't get the guy to budge on his bloated price enough, but this tractor was USA built.
Well looks like I was spot on with my 8k guess. I need to play the lottery now.
Many years ago I answered an ad for a Ford 555. Talked to an older man on the phone, said he didn't like joystick control. He had a Case 580E & the Ford 555. 555 was for sale. I got there, no sign of the father, the son was there in stead He was an unpleasant SOB! Threw a fit that HE owned the backhoes, not his father & the Ford was NOT for sale. I ended up exploring the four wheel drive 580E & agreed to buy it. I did like that machine as it had removable hoe exposing three point hitch & PTO. I was 200 miles from home. I offered a check, his bank was across the street, we would go together to his bank to confirm the check was good. He refused, would only accept cash. I offered a wire transfer from my bank to his, he refused that . Only way was me driving 400 mile round trip to bring cash. By now he's Pi$$ing me off. I walked away from the deal.
8100. Plus buyers fee and possibly sales tax
Here’s a way to price that machine: 1. Go to searchtempest.com 2. Enter “case 580se” and your zip code 3. Scroll thru the Craigslist ads 4 But more important go to the bottom of the page and click on the Facebook Marketplace link, YOU DO NOT NEED A FB ACCOUNT. You’ll find several similar case 580 se for sale. This link is an example, it worked for me wo a fb account: Facebook www.facebook.com Facebook www.facebook.com I’d say based current prices in Seattle area, you could pay or sell it for $11k