Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1985 case 580super e. Rear end over filling with oil

Franklin ยท 2013-12-15 16:40

I am trying to find out where this oil is coming from. I believe the brakes are ran off the hydrolics and my brakes keep bleading off and I have to pump them to have brakes is there some way this is where the oil is coming from and if so what do I have to to to fix this problem. Thanks for your help

Replies11
  1. #1Tinkerer2013-12-15 17:12

    Do a forum search for ---- 580SE brakes ---. I did and here is one of the first discussions I found about them. Be sure to click on all the links that are highlighted in blue. There is a lot of info in them.

  2. #2sheepfoot2013-12-15 19:46

    The 580 SE after s/n 9869266 had a I V system from the hyd system to keep the master cylinders full of tch/hyd oil, you will need to loosen the slave cylinders and slide them up the adjustment rod for the brakes and watch for leakage while it sits and runs. You can slip in the cylinder kits and master cylinder kits also, the hyd oils not as hard on them as Dot fluid.

  3. #3jimr2013-12-16 15:13

    Just thought I'd throw in my .02 worth. Doesn't an '85 have dry brakes? That would mean in order to fill the transaxle, the brakes would have be filled up first, and then the hydraulic fluid would have to push past the oil seals to get into the transaxle. I would think that the fluid would flow out of the brake vent tubes and be dripping out of the bottom of the housings before over powering the seals.

  4. #4sheepfoot2013-12-16 18:50

    I would think that the seals in the dry brake system hold the lube into the rear end. Rt and LT side gears and the diff lock shaft are the three sealing points, we don't no what the condition is of these seals inside the brake housings. As pressure is applied to the master cylinder it flows to the slave cylinder on the top of the brake housing possibly leaking inside, building pressure and pushing past those seals listed above, or the master and slave are shot and the hyd is leaking by both and filling it off back pressure in the hyd tank. So may also need to clean the vent and breather for the hyd tank. The vent could also be stopped up on the housings, but first need to look at the M/C covers for the I V lines and check the s/n so we know what system it has. Only the I V system could cause this over filling, there is no other means to cause this but the brake system.

  5. #5syndy2013-12-16 19:14

    I have an 83-84 SE and I think it has similar brakes and rear end. I have regular gear oil in my differential, like 90wt. The brake cyl sitting on top of the differential lock just sits there pushing on a lever to rotate the brake assy. (If it leaked, it would drip on the ground) I don't see any way for brake fluid to get into the trans-axle. Look at the break-down of parts online for your exact model and you should be able to follow the path of fluids.

  6. #6Franklin2013-12-17 01:17

    Thanks for all the feedback I am with sheep foot this is really the only place the oil could be coming from This tractor has the iv feed to the brakes I gess this problem is not as common As I thought it might be there seems to be some hydraulic fluid coming from what Must be the slave cylinders on top the trans axle if the dry breaks had oil on them would they still work? I cannot seem to find master cylinders or slave cylinders anywhere online for this particular tractor where is the best place to get these parts? Thanks

  7. #7Franklin2013-12-17 01:19

    And yes the trans axle takes gear oil 85 140

  8. #8Franklin2013-12-17 01:27

    Also my right break bleeds off very quickly The only way I can get it to work is to pump it about 30 times then it holds for about 30 seconds then bleeds off and the brake doesn't work again maybe the oil is just coming in from the right side also aren't seals designed to hold oil one way but not necessarily the other?

  9. #9syndy2013-12-17 08:59

    It looks to me like the 85 is different than mine in that the brake cyl sits right into the brake housing. I think the master cyl is fed by the hydraulic system so if the brake cyl was leaking at the bottom seal hydraulic fluid would fill the brake disk area and never run out of hydraulic fluid. The inner seal is made to keep oil out of the brakes but would allow oil to go into the trans-axle very easy. In that case the brake disk would be sitting in oil all the time.

  10. #10Tinkerer2013-12-17 09:05

    Any of the online (or your local) Case dealers such as Coleman on Wengers will have both the master cylinders and / or the parts for them. You probably know already that depending on which master cylinder (the parts list shows two different ones) a complete new one will cost about $250.00 to $280.00. The rebuild parts are also available. The rebuild kit for the acutator that Syndy is showings is about $76.00 and is available.Case OEM parts are the only ones I would recommend to use.

  11. #11jimr2013-12-17 10:10

    Franklin, you and sheepfoot have to be on the right track as there is no other source of fluid. But you're going to have a real mess when you open up the brake housings The brakes will work if covered in oil (at least mine did) but VERY poorly! Good luck with your project, you can fix it. Just don't remove the housings from the transaxle......don't ask me how I know jimr