Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1985? Case 880 What’s it worth?

Willie B ยท 2016-12-22 16:41

A friend in his mid eighties has died. A small scale excavation contractor, he never used the word retire. He just gradually did fewer, and smaller jobs each year. His equipment one by one went north to be added to his family's fleet. By the end he was down to one excavator. He started all his equipment once a month until the last year or so, and greased them a couple times a year. I'm thinking of it. What might a machine like this be worth? I'm sure it'll need an intensive overhaul. All the neglected maintenance, I'm sure it'll need a lot. It hasn't been worked in years, but has been exercised until maybe two years ago. Willie

Replies7
  1. #1Willie B2016-12-22 19:08

    It turns out I'm off in my guess of age. I thought it might be mid 80s. It seems it is likely ten years older. One track motor is slow. If it functions I can live with that, or fix. I want to be fair, but not make a big donation to creditors. It won't be used commercially, I have a piece of land. Some jobs would be easier with an excavator. There's a bit of sentimental value too. Willie

  2. #2dayexco2016-12-22 19:19

    5-7k

  3. #3Grady2016-12-23 10:57

    Sounds like a good deal. An old backhoe would cost that much. You'll get spoiled digging with that kind of reach and power even if it only has one boom cyl - I'm not sure. Nice xmas present to yourself. Good luck on your bid.

  4. #4Willie B2016-12-23 12:14

    It's only a what if right now. It's still in CT. His son, brother, and nephews have been running haul convoys to clean up. I believe remains a Ford road tractor from the seventies. Paint was faded a year ago when I last saw it. Charlie considered it roadworthy, I think he overrated it. The trailer was a ramp load tandem 35 ton. A nice TD15 with new undercarriage 15 years ago, and virtually no hours since, and the small excavator remain. Enough small stuff to fill a stadium also remains. Willie

  5. #5Willie B2016-12-23 19:15

    I think "OLD BACKHOE." it doesn't matter what it costs. What matters is real cost. I buy, it won't work. Six months later, I'm aware of what it really costs. I've never owned an excavator, but I bet what changes is about multiples. A new torque converter for an excavator costs three times the cost of a backhoe torque converter. I'll practice some caution. Charlie was a good friend. He challenged his brother who owed me money when the Chrysler Industrial engine block I needed was owned by both. Neither brother could agree who it belonged to. Charlie worked it out. A good man, he lived 85 years proud of his every act in life. He made some mistakes, none I'd be ashamed of. He fathered 5 good people, grandfathered 15 equally good people, and a couple duds. When I die, I hope somebody respects me as I do him. Willie

  6. #6Willie B2016-12-23 20:14

    I don't think you get it. Last year I was desperate for the perfect gift for Nancy. The seller of the crawler I bought a few days before called, he was coming most of the way to visit his father in law. Would I be offended if he delivered the bulldozer on Christmas day? All it lacked was a bow of burial tape, It was Nancy's gift. All the neighbor ladies hate me. Nancy seems OK with it. Willie

  7. #7Grady2016-12-24 08:42

    Yeah, Willie, there's no guarantees when it comes to old equipment except that it's always going to need something - even if it's only maintenance. You seem to be familiar with the machine and it's owner so at least you know what you're in for in that regard. I figured you must want a project or you wouldn't even consider it. You're right about the price of parts. The muffler went on mine and I think the dealer wanted around 800 and aftermarket was almost 500. A little more than a backhoe. I put my rudimentary welding skills and some metal together and it's still going strong. I've been pretty lucky so far and not needed anything major but if it does, it will probably hurt. The work an excavator does compared to a backhoe is impressive though if you have the need for one. I hope Nancy likes her new digger.