Hi, I bought a used CAT 314 LCR last August to clear 15 acres of farmland. So far I've put about 300 hours on the machine and I love it. I've discovered that with the 3 foot bucket that came with the machine, the teeth (which are quite worn and will need replacing soon) come within about 2" of the Cab glass. If I replaced the teeth on this bucket with new/longer teeth, the bucket could take the roof right off the cab. the machine has a standard 8'2" stick, and has a quick coupler. I know the quick couple is like having a 2 foot longer stick-- I get that. But it still seems a little crazy that the bucket can rip off the top of the Cab. Is it "normal" for the bucket teeth to reach the Cab roof/glass? Is this the way it is in most excavators? (with a quick couple) Thanks in advance. Bob
I can't say it's normal, but it is common. It's something all operators should be aware of.
Had a 315C that could hit the cab. Came very close before and took out the cab light.
ive seen this before Not sure how common it is but yeah Ive gotten close to hit the cab with my own tooth. But all operators should be cautious of their bucket boom and surroundings
It usually happens with the pin grabber type quick couplers. I've seen plenty of right side flood lights picked off the top of the cabs.
Any operator running any excavator needs to be aware that any particular boom/stick/bucket/coupler combination can result in a crushing hazard of contact with the cab. There should be a note in the Operation Manual to that effect and an ISO Pictograph sticker on the outside of the cab indicating the same thing.
My old 215 Cat can touch the cab with the teeth, just gotta pay attention.
This warning is also in the operator manual.......
Our 330 JD had the bucket replaced, and with a new set of tiger teeth, you could take the windshield out no problem.
OK, I get it-- comes with the territory-- -Mainly comes into play for me clearing land when I've dropped a tree form the bucket/thumb. Obviously I have to be really careful with a tree in the bucket/thumb, but after the tree is dropped and I'm swinging left back to get another tree/bush-- I tend to pull in the stick and boom during the swing-- so I won't hit anything heading back to the trees-- and I'm frequently looking left-- ahead of the swing-- while the stick and boom are coming in. I do wish there were a way to adjust the max inward boom or stick travel to prevent the tool/bucket from hitting the cab-- seems to me this would be a pretty easy thing to design into the machine-- but maybe it's not as easy as I imagine. There's no need for the bucket to reach the cab-- Anyways, thanks for all the advice. Bob
While there is no need for the bucket to hit the cab, designing the machine so it can't will also prevent things that are needed. I like to be able to tuck the arm tight enough to get down to legal height on a lowboy. Reducing the stick movement to prevent cabout contact may result in an over height machine that is a PITA to transport. That is just one of the possible problems, as each movement, or lack of requires a compromise of ability. The first excavator I operated had a deep trenching arrangement that would let the teeth reach near the back of the cab if allowed. It teaches you to pay attention quick when that is the case.
The 322 I have has a longer than normal stick with mechanical quick attack will hit the cab easy with the 48 inch bucket. I haven't had the 3 ft bucket on yet but it is for a 330 and about a foot taller so I'm guessing you could rip almost the whole cab off with it.
Busted a couple windows out through the years from oversize buckets. Wakes you up quick!!
If you have trained yourself to stick in and boom up while you are swinging then teach yourself to either not pull the stick in all the way or learn to curl the bucket all the way out so the teeth are away from the cab... or just pay attention like the rest of us do... lol
The first time I was in a tight area curled way up and the truck backed into me. I jumped to look and bumped the joystick, bang it was done. Second time I was curled way up swinging around power line and bumped joystick again. Just barely bumped cab, enough to shatter side window though.
Pretty much explains my answer to the question, which would be--No, it's not normal. It requires the operator to be looking at something other than the bucket approaching the cab. (I haven't been unlucky enough to break any glass, but that's just because I had the front window up. The wrinkle in the weatherstripping reminds me to pay better attention now.)
It can happen to the best or ****tyest operators just gotta pay attention.