Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1985 CAT D4D Crawler

Chance Lindeman · 2021-01-09 19:26

1985 CAT D4D Crawler I’m trying to find the battery shut off so I can get power going through the system and I’ve looked everywhere for a couple days now. Am I blind or just dumb here?

Replies33
  1. #1Tones2021-01-09 19:31

    Look under the seat cushion IIRC.

  2. #2Chance Lindeman2021-01-09 19:52

    Would you know how much I could sell it for that’s not ridiculous/overpriced? I have it posted for $7,500

  3. #3Chance Lindeman2021-01-09 19:53

    I know it runs and drives

  4. #4Rusted2021-01-09 20:06

    It looks like a 78A going by the position of the pre-cleaner, which dates it to a 1960's build year.

  5. #5Welder Dave2021-01-09 20:10

    First of all don't need to use profanity when asking a question. Is the machine yours or someone else's? Seems a lot older than 85, no ROPS for one thing. Would need to know a lot more details to guess at a value. Seems funny a Lindeman would be working on or own a Cat. JD would seem more appropriate.

  6. #6Chance Lindeman2021-01-09 20:15

    Dave, I kind of forget how unprofessional it is for me to talk like that. It is not mine I’m completely uneducated on it, I’m selling it on behalf of a friend after his father passed away and he’s not all “techy” with the internet.

  7. #7Chance Lindeman2021-01-09 20:17
  8. #8Chance Lindeman2021-01-09 20:18

    Dave, funny thing is me and my family all go by JD’s too but do I know you in any sort of way? Or are Lindeman’s famous for John Deere?

  9. #9Rusted2021-01-09 20:24

    The silver aluminum tags on the rear of the bevel gear case are serial numbers; the one on the left should be the machine number, which will help with the build year.

  10. #10Chance Lindeman2021-01-09 20:25

    Right that’s how I got 1985 for a build year

  11. #11Welder Dave2021-01-09 20:26

    Original JD crawlers were Lindeman. Lindeman – History | Lindeman Archives 1945 John Deere BO Lindeman Crawler | F120 | Iowa Premier 2018 (mecum.com)

  12. #12Chance Lindeman2021-01-09 20:28

    That’s seriously cool, makes me want to go buy one just because of the name.

  13. #13Rusted2021-01-09 20:28

    The build year isn't on the tag. D4D's were built from 1963 to late 1977, the one in your pics is an early one.

  14. #14Welder Dave2021-01-09 20:29

    The D4E started in 1977 so no way a D4D could be an 85, 65 maybe It looks in pretty good original condition though.

  15. #15Chance Lindeman2021-01-09 20:32

    See, that’s why I’m posting in a thread, I’m uneducated on this stuff and I feel very dumb because of it

  16. #16Chance Lindeman2021-01-09 20:35
  17. #17Rusted2021-01-09 20:38

    1964 build year.

  18. #18Chance Lindeman2021-01-09 20:39

    If you don’t mind me asking how did you find that out?

  19. #19Welder Dave2021-01-09 20:47

    78A's appear to have been made from 63 to 68 and here's 78A 623 listed as a 1966 but don't know if that's accurate. Apparently the 78A's weren't the most desirable D4D's. Hopefully Old Magnet will be along and give you all the specifics. 1966 CAT D4D For Sale In Oud-Beijerland, South Holland The Netherlands | MachineryTrader.com

  20. #20Rusted2021-01-09 20:48

    ironrecord.com was a good and pretty accurate source, but it seems to have shut d

  21. #21Rusted2021-01-09 20:56

    Dave I'll stick with '64, but I guess it's academic really, it's a very early D4D that at first look seems to have been looked after by someone.

  22. #22Chance Lindeman2021-01-09 20:56

    I can get more numbers tomorrow off of the machine and post updates

  23. #23Welder Dave2021-01-09 20:58

    I have a little booklet with serial numbers but it doesn't include the D4D. I just saw the earlier serial number for sale listed as a 1966.

  24. #24Chance Lindeman2021-01-09 21:08

    Would all the grills/front ends be the same then? Only because they look a little different that’s why I’m iffy on 66

  25. #25Welder Dave2021-01-09 21:19

    A lot of things can change on a machine in 50+ years. I'm not sure if the machine listed as a 66 is actually a 66 and I'm not sure if your machine is a 64. Hopefully someone will be along who can verify the year of each machine. Old Magnet knows these machines like the back of his hand.

  26. #26Old Magnet2021-01-10 12:04

    78A1985 is 1964 production, D330A engine and 65HP, dry clutch, didn't get the oil clutch as standard until 78A3369. Pony motor start standard (buzz bomb), Direct Electric Start optional Lots of misinformation in the literature that is out there on the D4D's

  27. #27Chance Lindeman2021-01-10 12:11

    Good to know, would you know where the battery shut off is located?

  28. #28Puffie402021-01-10 12:55

    On our D4D, the battery shutoff is located immediately below the operators seat. It may need a key to operate, ours uses a double-pronged key.

  29. #29Old Magnet2021-01-10 13:30

    Check the seat base. The battery disconnect will be in the negative battery lead between the negative terminal of the battery and the starter.

  30. #30Welder Dave2021-01-10 14:19

    Thanks OM! I figured you'd be able to clarify everything.

  31. #31epirbalex2021-01-10 14:25

    Almost a collector's item .

  32. #32FWD2021-01-10 18:16

    84J D4D replaced the 78A in 68 and went through 78. In 77 a D4E 27X replaced the D4D direct drive, still 65 horsepower until 82 then it was upped to 80 horsepower. A 76W D4E direct drive was made in Brazil until 93. They were probably ag crawlers. FWD

  33. #33Old Magnet2021-01-10 20:07

    $7,500 does not seem all that unreasonable although I'd say that is high end and something in the $5,000 to your $7,500 would be fair. Unit looks to be in good shape, Undercarriage (which is the driving price factor) is only fair and spacers have been added to the front idler yokes to make up for track wear. That's assessing from afar not knowing how it runs or operates. Good luck with your sale.