Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1985 gmc brigadier turn signals not working.

soapstoneguy ยท 2024-03-25 00:37

Hey, Blinkers aren't working on this truck. The lights work, brake lights etc. There was a front passenger tire that blew out and tore off some of the fender (before I owned it) but all the wiring seems to be good there as the light works. The turn signal handle on the steering column clicks in both directions and sounds like it should, isn't loose or anything either; the wiring doesn't look cut, stripped or anything...really mind boggling how well the electrical is on this truck even under the truck. Anyone have experience with this truck or the electrical? I'll admit electrical is NOT my strongest point. I have checked all the connections at the lights and they are good, some I even cut to redo them and then make sure nothing can get in them and I know I didn't screw anything up there because the turn signals never worked when I bought it. Any ideas or electrical diagrams? Thanks!

Replies10
  1. #1Shimmy12024-03-25 08:23

    I'd replace the flasher first off. If it's the original, it will be a silver, round one about the size of a C battery in the fuse box hopefully. It will have either 2 terminals or 3. Sometimes they get stuck in.

  2. #2soapstoneguy2024-03-25 15:00

    Thank you very much! Where exactly is the fuse box on this thing? I've looked all over haha

  3. #3soapstoneguy2024-03-25 19:05

    Ok, so found it and got that replaced thank you very much! Now my left turn signal is working but when I turn the right turn signal (where the fender is messed up from the blowout) the hazards come on and everything flashes. I took the left side apart (the good side) to check all the wires and everything is hooked up the same. Something is obviously crossed... I did pull the lever off of the steering column and opened it up and a small washer came out when I did that. It looks to be bent...I'm not sure if the bent side is supposed to face up (like a U shape) or if it is supposed to face down and if this could be the culprit?

  4. #4soapstoneguy2024-04-02 01:34

    No one else has any ideas?

  5. #5Rustyfender2024-04-02 06:20

    Is the hazard switch in the turn signal assembly?

  6. #656wrench2024-04-02 08:22

    Check and clean all the grounds

  7. #7Truck Shop2024-04-02 19:23

    Is the right turn signal light housing, light Ok? Is the right rear light Ok?

  8. #8soapstoneguy2024-04-09 01:34

    Yes. It's a pull tab that you pull out for the hazards then you can push it in and they shut off.

  9. #9soapstoneguy2024-04-09 01:35

    Yes, all seem to be fine. Cleaned them and put them back together.

  10. #10soapstoneguy2024-04-09 01:35

    Yes. It's a pull tab that you pull out for the hazards then you can push it in and they shut off.