Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1985 Hitachi EX-40. Thinking about buying one

Nick Powell · 2024-12-20 21:07

It's obviously an old machine, but it only has about 3,500 hours. Would replacement parts likely be impossible to get. It would be for use on my property, not putting a lot of hours on it. They are asking $13,000, I was thinking of offering 10,000. It's been listed for about 3 months. Just wanted some thoughts and opinions, both on the machine in general and being able to keep it working. I'm also wondering about cold starts on a Diesel that old, I'm sure it has glow plugs. TIA

Replies8
  1. #1Nick Powell2024-12-22 22:03

    Looks like it already sold. Anybody have any thoughts or experience on machines this old?

  2. #2skyking12024-12-23 01:36

    one breakdown away from scrap iron price.

  3. #3BC Placer gold2024-12-23 11:09

    Also really not comfortable to run “wobble” sticks out front… We had a Hitachi Ex50 (grey market, early 90’s, articulated boom) for a short period of time. The engine was extremely hard to start in cold weather (My experience with a lot of the older small diesels). Operator platform was tiny as well, no room for feet! You would be a lot better off to look for something a bit newer.…Kubota 121, Deere 35/50D, Cat 303.5/304 (a few examples…). If new to excavators have someone with you to help with inspection. Parts (even for a mini can be expensive). Normally the engine is the least of your worries…need to be extremely sceptical of hours, hour meter reading is often meaningless…look at condition. Good luck!

  4. #4IceHole2024-12-23 18:47

    Seems expensive, but without seeing it, it's a guess. I paid about double that for a 2013 Hitachi 40

  5. #5skyking12024-12-23 22:03

    which behaves like a real excavator and can be counted on for production work

  6. #6BC Placer gold2024-12-24 09:25

    Sounds a fair price to me as those are really nice machines! We had a 2011 Hitachi Zx27 for exploration work and I was really impressed with its capabilities. Long stick/thumb/extra counterweight.

  7. #7skyking12024-12-24 11:19

    my thing is the behavior. some small crap machines cannot walk and chew gum at the same time, so to speak. The big boys get the engineering right. Oh heck, I was on a 20 ton early Daewoo rental that would scare you. If you limited on stick out while booming, the boom would just jump, FFS. Perfect behavior while reaching a structure or something out to the limits.

  8. #8IceHole2024-12-24 15:58

    It's ok, but can be enraging with the limited capabilities it has. Has fairly short reach, can only lift maybe 2500lbs pounds. Not pushing trees over with it or even easily digging stumps. Open cab too which isn't great and it's small. Has foot pedals for the tracks, but I can't even move my feet enough to really use them. Feels like sitting in a children's go cart Those tiny Chinese machines, I don't know how anyone actually uses them. It's better than nothing, but I think a 120 or so would suit me better. I have alot of time on a 200 and 330, so maybe just used to what those can do.