Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1985 Komatsu d31a power shift transmission shifting?

mark brennan · 2019-04-13 17:28

whats the proper way to shift this power shift transmission on this machine? Still learning on this. Should I be pressing the deceleration pedal and then putting it into the neutral position before shifting into reverse? Also, noticing some lag time when going from 1st gear in reverse into 2nd gear. This just starting happening the other day after running the machine for several hours Thank you Mark

Replies2
  1. #1John Canfield2019-04-13 18:29

    I don’t know if my former D39 has the same running gear as yours but I always pushed the deceleration pedal when shifting gears. I don’t recall any huge lag when shifting from 1st to 2nd in reverse but it’s been a few years since I sold the D39.

  2. #2mark brennan2019-04-13 21:31

    Yeah. Just don’t wanna mess up the trans. I’ve been doing the same.. using the deceleration pedal to go between forward and reverse. Not sure what was happening with the lag time between 1st and 2nd when in reverse. I could put the dozer into 2nd in reverse and nothing would happen for a a couple seconds then it would “jerk” into gear... strange