Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1986 Case 580e boom cylinder seal

Nick Tonelli · 2022-11-30 19:57

Hi all- with the help of this forum I tackled the job of replacing a badly leaking book cyl on my new to me case 580e. I purchased the seal kit from HW part store using the stamped number on the cylinder nut. Everything went together fine until the last seal the “wiper” or whatever it is called that is placed on very end. It won’t fit at all due to a machined ridge it seems like the OD of the metal seal is too large. I even bought another kit from a separate supplier and had same issue. Am I missing something here? Seems to be much too tight of clearance to just bash it on

Replies12
  1. #1alrman2022-11-30 20:20

    The second picture shows the metal seal casing for the old seal to still be in the gland - remove it & all will be good. ..... then get your eyes checked!

  2. #2Nick Tonelli2022-11-30 20:30

    Unbelievable… the old seal was so toast it crumbled before I had chance to remove it I didn’t even think of looking for the metal casing. Thank you!

  3. #3stinky642022-12-01 11:08

    Don't feel bad, I was in the process of rebuilding all the cylinders on my machine when one of the neighbors stopped by and we started yapping about stuff,an hour later I continued with the job at hand. All of the wiper seals on my machine are the same color but one, guess why. ***

  4. #4Welder Dave2022-12-01 23:36

    It sucks getting distracted when you're in the middle of repairing something. Sometimes you just have to forget about anything else and concentrate on the job at hand.

  5. #5stinky642022-12-02 10:45

    Kinda tough to concentrate when the feller causing the distraction has a fresh box of ice cold beer in his hand...

  6. #6Welder Dave2022-12-02 16:48

    All the more reason to stay concentrated when working on something critical. Have a beer when you're finished.

  7. #7stinky642022-12-02 18:54

    I do some of my best work under the influence. P.S. it's a 1976 Case hoe, it's never gonna be finished.

  8. #8HarleyHappy2022-12-03 06:19

    My only problem is when you wake up the next morning and are pleasantly surprised someone finished the job and you have no recollection that it was you. Did that one time swapping winter tires on and had to pull caps to check lug nuts to make sure I torqued them lol. Sure it won’t be the last time.

  9. #9stinky642022-12-03 10:34

    I said "under the influence" not inebriated, maybe you just have elves hiding in your shop.

  10. #10Welder Dave2022-12-03 15:05

    It can be a fine line with some people.

  11. #11HarleyHappy2022-12-04 11:03

    As long as my elves continue to do quality work it’s okay Lol

  12. #12joe--h2022-12-06 11:09

    Think my elves are all drunk, they don't show up for duty. Joe H