Aiming to buy myself time to do a year or two's worth of shakedowns and serious make-new before a possible engine swap up, I have moved the rig to its winter operating table position for an in-frame fixup. I'll open the bottom to begin with to evaluate the wisdom in this, the crank may just nix the whole idea but if it looks ok I'll go for it. First question on the roster (because I just plain don't remember from the F4L I did in 2008), can the oil pump be changed in-frame while I have a go at the main and rod bearings down there?
Yes, the front cover comes off relatively easily, and the oil pump is right there. Need a new front seal, and look at the harmonic balancer.
hmmm, got a different setup here on account of the front PTO. Can I do the pump via the oil pan?
The front cover comes off relatively harder then. The oil pump is mounted to the front of the block, gear driven off the timing gear train, and I'd guess the cover has to come off, but possibly the bolts could be reached from below and it would drop down? This is the same setup at 1:30
piece of cake, but so much for the IN-FRAME idea... tomorrow the engine gets dragged indoors for the winter.
Good choice.