Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1986 International S1754 steering

Greybrook · 2023-11-10 14:56

I’ve got a great running dumptruck that steers like I've replaced the steering wheel with reins. It’s extra exciting when towing a trailer. Been trying to replace a steering box but International says it’s discontinued!?! this is the box currently in it. years ago, I could have had this rebuilt in state, but that’s all gone now. Any leads, advice etc would be greatly appreciated. I’m located in Maine.

Replies6
  1. #1Truck Shop2023-11-10 15:51

    Home | Weller Truck Parts | Weller Reman wellertruck.com Or keep searching New England for independent that rebuilds steering gears. Someone on here might know of one in your area.

  2. #2Tenwheeler2023-11-10 20:17

    I have used Steering Specialist in Atlanta for years. Bought common exchange boxes from a local truck parts distributor but they come from Ohio. Surly someone is closer to you.

  3. #356wrench2023-11-11 10:04

    Any play in your kingpins, tie rod ends and drag-link? How about the toe-in? Abnormal tire wear?

  4. #4Truck Shop2023-11-11 10:54

    From top of steering column down .

  5. #5cfherrman2023-11-11 11:24

    Might check for play in elbows and wrists too

  6. #6Greybrook2023-11-12 22:17

    Had to purchase a new 25T jack, gonna check it all out this week and be sure before I spend $