Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1986 new holland l781 engine removal need help!!!

Skid marks123 · 2021-02-26 17:03

Hi new here I’m taking the engine out of a l781 it’s the 3 cylinder air cooled duetz Got machine for nothing previous op ran it out of oil this is my first skid steer... after about 16 long fought hours... bell housing bolts were a nightmare...and cheap *** Ford didn’t weld and of the nuts to the machine on the panels... I have the crane on it and I’m trying back the baby duetz off the pump but I just can’t get it off all the way everything is out of the way fuel,oil, electrical stuff ect the motor will move a bit but it’s like something is binding? I am ready to scrap the mfkr spent 4 hours now trying to get the motor to come back and out is there a shear bolt of something in the shaft? I’m about to go back out to the barn and pry jack pry some more please any suggestions are appreciated. Once out I’ll be getting. New to me motor from mid Michigan diesel or whatever it’s called because I heard these duetz are very hard to rebuild is that true?

Replies1
  1. #156wrench2021-02-27 10:49

    no ideas on it not coming loose, but they are not that bad to rebuild, they just have some special procedures. is there a flexplate bolted to the flywheel that has to have the bolts removed first?