Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1987 580K Boom Cylinder Seals(early serial #)

xkvator ยท 2018-07-21 12:03

1st) I want to thank the guy on this forum who suggested peaning the end of the cylinder to get the gland off...so much easier... My question is: the Case directions say not to use the new buffer seal in the earlier glands (with no I.D. groove)...as the groove is not deep enough... Ok, I wont...BUT should I leave the old buffer seal in there...??? Whats your opinion...???

Replies3
  1. #1xkvator2018-07-21 13:13

    the name of the guy that posted the peaning tip: ATCOEQUIP...again, Thank You

  2. #263 caveman2018-07-21 16:20

    If you are in PGH. Send me a pm and i will get you to the right place for reseal

  3. #3xkvator2018-07-26 21:21

    I left the old buffer seal in the gland...the new type looks like a better seal...just like the pressure seal, but thinner... I didn't take the whole cylinder off...pulled the rod/piston out with my Bobcat 331 onto Styrofoam, then tilted the tube up vertical, with a bucket over open end. put the rod back in place, and blocked it up...heated bolt head(1 13/16"), and it came out with a CP(Chicago, not Central) 3/4 impact... gland and piston back on...tightened bolt with impact, then used an 8' pipe on breaker bar... hung the rod from 331 with a choked nylon strap...lowered cylinder down onto blocking. perfect alignment of the rod and cylinder tube...I removed the grease fitting from the rod, and used a dead blow sledgehammer to tap the rod in until the piston was about 6" past the gland threads... easier than I thought it was going to be...