Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1987 580K Electrical Help

jcanada ยท 2015-04-14 17:50

I was using the hoe to clean some property and got the tractor in a bind (by bind, I mean that it strained hard, killed the engine and separated the hood about 4 inches from the latch opening). After closing the hood, I hit the key and nothing happened, made a visual check and saw no wiring damage or anything broken. I replaced the main relay behind the park brake, did not help. Went thru all fuses and none bad. I went to NAPA and purchased a "push button switch" and installed on the starter. Now, I just turn the key to the on position, hit the button and the tractor runs fine. Seemingly, only starting the tractor with the key and the lights now not working are the only issues! I have checked all the wiring plugs I can find to see if any have pulled apart. The ones just under the gauge console, over the axle are tight, the ones I can see under the floor are plugged tight. Can anyone point me in the correct direction to fix the issue? Everything on it works except "starting with the ignition, the lights (all lights) and the backup beeper. Any assistance much appreciated!

Replies3
  1. #1Dirtdauber2015-04-14 18:33

    My 580K wouldn't start once and I had a bad connection at the neutral switch on the shuttle. This wouldn't effect the lights though. When did you notice the problem with the lights? Could you have disconnected a power wire to the fuse panel when you did that wiring at the starter?

  2. #2jcanada2015-04-14 19:32

    Thanks for the reply! I will check the wiring at the neutral switch! I am going to replace the fuse blocks and check for any corroded parts as it sits right at the floor exposed to the elements! I will post the result.

  3. #3old-iron-habit2015-04-14 20:55

    Its possible you may have lost the console to machine ground. Try a jumper ground wire.