Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1987 cat-426 no 1st gear

towbar · 2024-03-24 14:48

I've had 4 tranny problems in the 20 years with this machine but this last one is a new twist. Shifter has had more of a tendency to spring OUT of detent in 1st gear than any other gear for quite a while now. Today the rig stopped engaging at all in 1st, the lever goes into detent but it doesn't engage. The other 3 speeds work fine, so does the shuttle lever on the column which I fixed just months ago. I fear this might be a "remove to investigate" event!

Replies9
  1. #1Mobiltech2024-03-24 14:58

    What’s your serial number.

  2. #2towbar2024-03-24 17:51

    7BC01181

  3. #3HarleyHappy2024-03-25 11:43

    Love the pick, maybe it’s paying you back. lol

  4. #4towbar2024-03-25 12:27

    That was my son's doing (standing on the left). THIS one was was mine a month after rebuilding the entire cabin, could have broken all the glass again ....but I got away with it

  5. #5HarleyHappy2024-03-25 14:13

    Yep, it’s certainly paying you back, you deserve it. Lol When I was clearing my lot for my new house, I blew 2 valve stems off, working around the stumps. In the future when I put new tires on, I’m putting valve stem guards on like my Kubota has. Not sure why they aren’t on evr backhoe.

  6. #6towbar2024-03-25 14:43

    When people put dualies on, the main wheel valves go on the inside, might be a good idea all the time unless you have leaky tires that need frequent reinflation.

  7. #7Deanoo2024-07-26 09:27

    maybe a bad shifting fork.

  8. #8towbar2024-07-26 11:33

    I just got an email (26 July-2024) advising me of your reply )) I forget what it was, either linkage or cleared itself

  9. #9Deanoo2024-07-26 11:40

    It was about no 1st gear in a machine.