Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1987 Cat D3B Fuel leak

Lownitro ยท 2014-11-16 14:51

Developed a "mist" leak at marked area of pic after having to bleed lines due to replacing fuel filter. New at this. How would be the best way to fix this? Can it be fixed on site without removing pumb? Don't laugh, since only mist, can JB weld be used as temp fix till job is finish? .......need about a week. Thanks

Replies6
  1. #1Shimmy12014-11-16 15:14

    I don't believe so. My guess is pump will have to come off. I have zero knowledge of a Cat pump but had a friend that was hauling hot mix and his pump was leaking. Engineer told him if he didn't want to buy a stretch of road he had better get it fixed. $2000 later he was back at work. His was a 6cyl. pump though.

  2. #2Nige2014-11-16 16:21

    The pump has to come off to fix that and no you can't use JB weld as a temporary repair. Even though it's "only a mist" fuel leaks can result in machines burning to the ground. Don't treat them lightly. I'm sure someone will chime in on the installation & timing procedure for the pump.

  3. #3Bob/Ont2014-11-16 16:29

    You would be best to hire an experienced man from the dealership. Have him come out and change the Orings under all four nuts. The job can be done with the pump in place, if they say the pump needs to come off ask for another man to do the work. He will need help holding the element in place while changing the seal so plan to be there to help. Later Bob

  4. #4Nige2014-11-16 17:04

    I'll defer to Bob's experience on this one. If he says it can be done -good enough.

  5. #5Lownitro2014-11-16 17:15

    Thanks for the quick replies. I'm going to play it safe and call Cat first thing Monday. I don't have a service manual and was not sure which way to go. Not worth it to screw up my little dozer. Thanks again (What a great Forum)

  6. #6Bob/Ont2014-11-16 19:10

    I have done it Nige but not something to attempt unless you are familiar with assembly of pumps. Later Bob