We got a 740 champion grader(1987), it seems like its in high range, 1st gear is way to fast, controller says its in 1st, grader is new to us(bought at auction)and I have no experience working with them or on them, is there a high and low range, it was working fine when we first got it, fixed some lights, replaced a missing chain on the r/s rear, other than that it hasn't moved 30 ft lol. any help would be greatly appreciated. it shifts good thru its gears, just seems to be in high gear.
If you have never ran I grader before, it may seem fast. First blade I ran was a Deere 772A. Wished it had two more lower gears until I got good with it. Just a thought.
From what I see online 1st gear should max out around 2.5 mph
It seem faster than that, I'm going to check it with a gps today to confirm.
well I took the gps out of my pick-up and tested it out! 10 mph. in first gear, it shifts all the way up to 8 no problem, all 4 reverse, I,m stumped, any chance they made highway models for plowing snow that had higher gearing? you could almost drag race this bugger lol!
I,m guessing I high a high/low range solenoid problem, I get 1234 but fast gears, 5 is the same as 1st then 678 are a high range as well , im guessing a low range solenoid problem, anyone got a schematic of these solenoids and wiring, it is a 8400 trans and machine serial # is 7401273216340,
Waynechute, I have a 700 Series operators manual you can have just pay the po0stage, trouble is I am in B.C. otherwise I am going to recycle it
bccat thanks for the offer but I acquired one yesterday, did all my electrical checks on the high low solenoid, everything paned out, decided to remove the cartridge and found it to be sticking or the spring is worn out, manually put it up in low reinstalled and I have my low range gears now, ordered a new cartridge from Strongeco and we will be good to go, I removed the high low solenoid and cartridge and shifted the gears the spool was moving just not enough, hince the transmission not throwing any codes, just goes to show sometimes you have to go alittle further than the book tells you lol.