Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1987 Dump Truck

erthmover ยท 2006-08-26 23:36

Im looking at a 1987 International 1954 single axle dump truck. It has 59,000 miles and was an ex-municipal truck that had a plow. It has a DT466 engine and an Allison automatic transmission. GVW of 35,000lbs. They are asking $6,900. My question is if the price is worth it and how is an automatic for towing? Im going to use it to tow a tag trailer with a backhoe or dozer.

Replies18
  1. #1Ford LT-90002006-08-26 23:55

    When the Allison automatic craps out you will be :crying I wouldn't buy a medium duty truck with a automatic transmission especially if the truck is on juice brakes. Also muni salt trucks are rust buckets I would look for something else. You do get what you pay for a good single axle dump with a 35,000lb gvw should cost you 20,000 at the cheapest.

  2. #2Squizzy246B2006-08-27 00:49

    Ford is right about being cautious with 2nd hand auto's but it is way too much of a generalisation to recommend not buying the Allison. 59K miles is diddly squat, and if service records and oil analysis is available then its a different proposition. Cities, counties and Shires now specifiy auotmatics because they often have not so experienced drivers. The auto can save big dollars on clutches, gearboxes and diffs with the a**e blown out of them by numbskull drivers. The auto also has big advantages on slippery surfaces and especially when breaking across onto hard surfaces. Old Inters were a bit notorious for clutches, tailshafts and diffs. Some had a good run and some had terrible service....mostly due to habits of the driver. The auto can smooth out a lot of driveline shock and they becoming more and more popular. If the truck and price is right for you I would more base my decision on wether you could talk to whoever serviced or drove the truck. I can't comment on wether the particular auto is suitable for towing without knowing exactly what model box it is and how much you intend to tow...over what distance etc. Good Luck.

  3. #3Grader4me2006-08-27 07:14

    Most municipalities probally keep log books on these units, ask them if you could have a look at it, as it will give you a better idea as to the servicing of this truck etc. Salt plays hell on these trucks, so look it over very carefully, go over the wiring and look for the blue corrosion. Check the floor in the cab as floor mats hide a lot. Look the frame over carefully as well and any steel brake/hydraulic lines. Finally look the box over carefully, underneath as well. I am not familar with the auto transmission as all of ours are standard, but I do know what salt can do to these.

  4. #4jmac2006-08-27 12:58

    I have posted many times in the past about my 97' GMC 6500 with a allison and a 502 gas motor, yes gas so not the same as deisel but the truck could not tow anything bigger than a skid steer, so if possible put a load in the truck and take it for a drive. This will tell you alot more than a empty truck will, all trucks empty pull hard, except my GMC. Sold that one. Like the others said salt can be bad but that you can check out for rust easily. 59k is low miles.

  5. #5Steve Frazier2006-08-27 13:32

    We've got an IH at the firehouse with the same setup hauling 1600 gallons of water. It won't win any drag races, but it's been a reliable truck. Our sister station has a twin to it and no problems to report there either. Sometimes you can get real bargains with former government trucks, but they are often worn out. Give the truck a thorough inspection and see if it is sound. Used IH parts are plentiful, so even if the cab is rusted pretty bad, it shouldn't be hard to find a replacement. If the frame is solid and you know those are true miles, I'd consider it. See if you can talk with the mechanic who serviced it and find out his opinion of it.

  6. #6bigHD2006-08-27 19:08

    Yep. Same at my station. We have two engines with Allison trannys and we have had zero problems with either one. The older truck a 1988 Stuphen has the Allison with the actual shifter, and the newer truck a 1999 Spartan has the pushbutton setup. Both trucks work nice.

  7. #7Ford LT-90002006-08-27 22:49

    The road salt eats the frame of the truck it gets into the wiring,air valves,brakes etc. The highways dept used to haul those Internationals 4 ton trucks the ones here were usually 466 power 5+2 and the truck was on juice brakes. Those old 1900 Series cornbinders usually sell at auctions here for 4000-5000 dollars CND.

  8. #8Electra_Glide2006-08-28 08:45

    I bought an ex-municipal truck off a local dealer in the spring, and I'd never do it again. I bought a 95 Chevy 1-ton, 350 gas, automatic. I know it's comparing apples to oranges as far as the specific trucks go, but as others have said, as a general rule, ex-municipal trucks are beat to heck and back. The fact that it was a plow truck makes matters even worse. Mine was bought brand-new by the municipality (Milton, NY if I remember correctly...up your way isn't it Steve...:waving ), and I am the 2nd owner (not counting the dealer it passed through). I've had to put a bunch of money into it (whole new front end, electrical problems, new exhaust) and there's still more work that needs done. I get the sense that the thing was not well taken care of. As far as the automatic for towing, I'll never do that again either. I just tow a Bobcat S175, and the thing is a dog on the hills, which we have plenty of here in Western Pa. I swear that transmission is like a big sponge, and just soaks up the power from the engine. I've agonized over this thing since the day after I bought it. I was drawn in by the "cheap" proce, but when I look at what I spent to buy it plus what I've had to put into it, it kills me. I was kind of desperate when I bought it because I really needed a truck, but I should have kept looking...:Banghead I agree with what LT-9000 said...a decent 10T single-axle is going to cost you around $20000. If you look long and hard, you might find something around $15000. It is getting to be that time of year where a lot of guys will start putting stuff up for sale, so maybe you can find a deal. Joe

  9. #9erthmover2006-08-29 17:32

    Heres a pic of it. From the pictures it doesn't look like there is any rust on the cab or any of the frame that can be seen. I am still going to go look at it. How could I find out the GCVW rating? Also, could you take a CDL test with an automatic. Also, could you use a dump and a tag to get your class a? Thanks for your help.

  10. #10cat3202006-08-29 18:51

    I don't see why you couldn't take your cdl in an auto. i took mine in a stick so I really don't know if they limit what you can drive if you do go in one . it probably does not matter.

  11. #11Ford LT-90002006-08-29 20:41

    Taking your CDL with a automatic truck shouldn't matter it might be a little easier because you won't get demerits for missed shifts.

  12. #12Orchard Ex2006-08-29 20:42

    There should be a data plate in the drivers door frame or on the rear cab wall behind the drivers seat. Not sure if a combo weight will be listed on a small dump. Yes, but some states will limit you to driving only automatic equipped trucks. I don't know if NJ is one of them. Yes, but you will receive a "Class A Limited" license. You won't be able to drive tractor trailers, but will be legal to drive with a tag along that's over 10k lbs.

  13. #13nevrenufhp2006-08-29 21:15

    I'll chime in with te CDL part. I took my driving test with an auto equipped truck, and my license does have a restriction printed on the back. Since all 13 of our trucks have an Allison, it's not a big deal for me. The Allisons are good autos, but they are spendy to rebuild. Last advice, look for a truck(talking IH here) that's an 84 or newer, then you'll have a better injector pump than the rotary on the older 466's

  14. #14DKinWA2006-08-29 21:16

    I took my class A test in a dump truck/tag trailer and I'm not aware of any restrictions on driving tractor trailers. I wonder if this varies between states?

  15. #15Steve Frazier2006-08-29 22:49

    In NY you'd have restrictions on both counts, the tranny and the trailer.

  16. #16Mike J2006-08-30 00:51

    Is the truck at Royal truck & equipment in coopersburg? Looks like they have it on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...m=250021987933&ih=015&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT if the link doesn't work the item # is 250021987933 The starting bid is still at $4900 with 16 hours left to go. Not sure about the auto restriction on the cdl in NJ. I live in pa and am going to get my cdl and the book didn't mention anything about a restriction for an auto trans. As long as the trailer is registered over 10,000lbs it should be fine to get a cdl with.

  17. #17thejdman042006-08-30 21:36

    I know california (maybe other states) restricts you for taking a dump truck and tag trailer and expecting to drive a 5th wheel tractor trailer. I know youd ont live in california but I am jsut trying to say there are some states and some restrictions that do require investigatioin. Good luck, went to get my cdl in a municipal truck, municipal trucks in our state (esp jsut plow trucks are classified as "emergency vehicles" and dont require a safety inspection. The book states all trucks must have current safety inspection. All trucks taken on tests require safety inspection but this truck doesnt need one according to the law to. Well i called a number of dmv's a number of different times and all mixed answers. I called said id like an appt this date this time now I have a few ?'s about the exam may i speak to the examiner. I was told they dont schedule certain examiners it is whoever is available that day that time. The day i took the truck to take the test The guy asked about the sticker I told him its a municipal truck that doesnt rquire one by state law and I called and they said that was ok if the truck doesnt require one not to have one. He said i dont think so but he asked a ouple people and no one really knew and let it slide. My point is the dmv is mass confusion and sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many laws for so many different states they really should make it uniform. Just like different citys around here that passed no cell phone while driving. I dont like to drive and talk but sometimes i have to and how do you know what cities have the law and what ones dont? Idling laws? If your an otr driver how do you know if theres an idling law in that particular city???? Just hope you get a decent tester and officer.

  18. #18BIGDAN3152008-02-01 09:47

    86 Ih Hey earth mover ,I have a 86 IH for sale sinle axle,dt466,10 speed manual, It has a bit more miles on it but is a good runner.Have an add on the for sale foram in this sight. I also hall equipment with mine and som light trucking as well. I am looking to buy a tandom.