Well I signed up for my new wheels. 97 model with 48,000 miles on the clock so its hardly turned a wheel. Good for 8,800 lbs payload and 13' deck on the dump body. I don't need the hungry boards but I'm sure I will find a use for them. It belongs to the city and has just run around our park. The dump deck has taken a bit of a beating from logs. Its half the price of a new one and in very good condition. I'm getting an oil leak on the hoist fixed, a new front bumper and the header tank for the radiator renewed as part of the deal. I got it through the dealer otherwise "as is". I have to wait a few weeks until the new truck gets in from the body builders. It will need new front tyres and I think the dump body will go for blasting, painting and sign writing. I'm pretty happy because finding a small dump with a longer deck that will take a 6 to 7K lb excavator is no easy task and I although I went with the results of the poll (thanks guys) I was looking at some serious dinero. Well thats half of my block laying capital equipment founded!!!:thumbsup
The truck looks good Squizzy. You're half the way there. Will you need to build some type of ramp system now, for loading the equipment? I'd imagine it would need to be fairly stoutly built, being it'll need to be long considering the height you need to lift the machine. Something removealbe, or folding?
Nothing too bad looking about that truck usually those trucks of that vintage here the cab would be falling off the chassis with big rust streaks. The other problem with the Isuzu/GMC trucks is the rear suspension bushings wear pretty good because people do overload those trucks. Know of one truck that used to gross his truck atleast 9000kgs or more. Used to put 12,000lbs in the 16' cube box his truck was a W5000 it run on 16" tires which were a little undersized. As for ramps have some made from aluminum with a arc to them and wide enough a person has some leeway of adjusting while walking up them with a machine. Most of the time its easier to find a bank or something to back the truck into walk the machine out of the box. Now Squizzy has found a truck now got to find a new excavator.
We already have aluminium ramps for our equipment but I will be getting a new set that will also handle steel tracks with rubber pads in case I end up down that road.
The one thing about walking a machine up ramps is make sure the end of the ramps on the deck is pinned to the deck or safety chains. One of the local companys hauling 6500lb excavator on flatdeck 1.5 ton started walking the machine up and the ramp spit out. Talk about leaving a stain in the underwear situation. A construction company working in the area had to have one of their machines repaired at the local shop. It was a Yanmar machine they didn't have any ramps to get the machine back onto the 1 ton chevy. They found a pile of dirt in the yard crawled the machine up onto it and onto the 1 ton.
Ford, trust me, we have pins for our ramps and everytime we go to load/unload we check the pins before we move the machine. The Jalopy is only on 16" and the ramps are 3.85m which is the same length as our 6 tonne ramps we use for the 161 going on the 9 tonner which is on 22.5" so the angle will be a lot less.
I thought that T-Red already posted the official loading / unloading procedures?
I had a close one on the big trailer loading the skid once...thank goodness for safety chains.
Squizzy, can you take pic's of your loading ramps, and while in use, if possible?? I've never seen any aluminum ramps used like you have. Everything I've seen has been on trailers, and usually w/beavertail. I my mind I'd think they'de fold up like cardboard under the weight of the equipment, but obviously they don't. They must be built really well.:thumbsup
I know you would have pins or safety chains on the ramps :yup One insident we had in the area was a guy pulling a 6000lb mini behind a 550 Ford on a trailer. Truck was parked on a slope the guy started to walk the machine off the trailer (no ramps) it is a low boy equipment trailer similar to a car trailer. Anyhow as the machine got to the end of the trailer the trailer see-sawed on the rear axle lifted the tounge on the trailer which intured lifted the drive wheels of the truck off the ground. The whole shooting match went for a wild ride down the hill backwards. A rolloff truck or hooklift truck is the way to go for ease of moving equipment around drop the box on the ground walk the machine out.
I actually don't have any pics and I know I have been promising to get some for you.....just I'm usually concentrating fairly intently when we are load/unloading. Here is a taste for you: http://www.digga.com/ramps.htm
Getting the machine down onto the ground from the Isusu 2 ton would be easier than running the 161 Kubota down ramps out of the 5 ton single axle Squizzy had. Atleast with the Isuzu you could tilt the box slightly to make unload or loading a little easier. The only thing Squizzy might have to do is hang some weights off the front bumper to keep the front wheels down while loading the machine :laugh I do think he found a good truck should beable to haul a decent load the limiting factor is the 16" rubber if thats what the truck runs.
The Isuzu is 4 tonnes and the Mitsubishi is 9 tonnes (payloads of course). I think the Isuzu GVM is a bit over 7 tonnes or near 15,500 lbs. The rears are 7.50 x 16 LT 12 Plys. I just wanted enough to carry around a 3 tonne mini-ex. In the process I'm going to overhaul all kit out my tools trailer. Whilst I would like to have the mini on a low bed trailer and the tools on the truck, it means that whenever the truck leaves site...so do all the tools.
If you can get them try running 7.50R16 14ply for the rear and if you have them in Australia LT-235/85R16 10 or 12ply for the front axle it will make the truck handle and steer a little better. That truck will probably carry better than pull. Even thou the GVW is 15,000lbs you probably can easily gross 17,000lbs. From what I have seen with the GMC COE which is the exact same truck they haul more than what they are rated at. The exhaust brake works really good on those trucks so your brakes last forever.
I've already got my Tyre guy pricing some Kumho 235/85 R16 12 plys for the front. The narrow michelins just become plows in the sand when you are trying to back up. Our tree lopper put them on his Mitsy 4x4 Canter...he calls them his "Super Singles". That from a guy who drove 225 tonne Haulpaks up the mines for years.
I've wondered why it seems the cab-overs are so popular down under? The country is spread out pretty thin isn't it? Here, after they removed most of the overall length restrictions, the cab-overs were avoided like the plague, and everyone's runs with hoods now. I'm not even sure if any American truck makers even offer a cab-over model anymore, atleast in the class 8's. Overseas they seem to be the "standard". I drove nothing but cab-overs for years, and other than have to crawl up the side like a monkey to get in, they weren't so bad. You are the first on the accident scene in a crash though.
I know what you mean about sinking its why the 7.50s are good for traction offroad in mud where there is hard ground under it. Also good for snow they dig down to the pavment. Atleast your truck doesn't have the odd ball 17.5 wheels some of those trucks came with those tires are freaking expensive and hard to find.
You answered your own question:wink2
Most of the new ones have 17.5 or 19"...they are becoming more common but at first they were a PITA to get rubber for. The new Isuzu has 19" and that would have been OK but garden variety 16" is bettera for tyre selection and $$$
I think its the North American way to have a big honking truck with a hood so long you can't see the end of it. You know its got to beable to cover the 16Litre 600hp engine. I'am not a fan of Cab overs either I don't like that feeling of no frontal protection when some idiot talking on their cellphone not paying attention is trying to have a head on with you. Take for instance Hino North America doesn't even produce a cab over anymore which is all what they made now its conventional cabs.
Here ya go Jeff, I can see your feeling a bit nostalgic:
As usual, Mr Dahlgren you have not been paying attention. :nono Go sit in the corner, and review this thread:
Well, I saw your "cartoon like" pictures of a flying skid-steer too: and those were top secret, so I figured I'd better forget I ever saw any of them..............for my saftey.:yup
Hey! It took me the better part of the afternoon and a full box of crayons--the 64 colors, not just the 48--to do those pictures, and this is the thanks I get???
I'l move this quote over from Steve's car thread, since I haven't big enough ka-hoohoo's too hi-jack his, and since it's relevent. No, you will get your just rewards for everything you do on HEF. Steve's trying to decide if merely doubling your pay would sufficient. 2 x $0's= $0's I say triple it, cuz you're worth every penny!! 3 x $0's = $0,s :bouncegri
Will you guys stop it...I'm trying to work here:Banghead
Very well then, carry on. I need too crawl up in my big truck and hit the super slab for a bit anyhoo.......so there!!:yup
I agree but why is that? I've always noticed that having say 8 tons in the truck is easier to move than 8 tons behind the truck. Is it because of where I'm pulling from (pintle hook)? If there is enough traction, and we don't worry about the ride difference or stopping power right now, just getting the load moving or pulling a hill seems to be different with the same amount of weight. Just my imagination?
The truck only has a 4 banger rice cooker diesel its not big power but for what Squizzy is doing and where he is traveling it will be fine. I have a feeling fuel economy is high on the the list not sure what he pays per litre for diesel fuel. You put a 8000lb load on the truck it probably gross 16,000lbs I'am assuming the tare weight to be around 8000lbs. You put 8000lbs on a trailer plus the weight of the trailer your looking at 10,000lbs now your gross combined weight is 18,000lbs. Add in the extra drag of 4 extra tires the truck has to try get rolling. You put a load on the truck that makes the truck gross 18,000lbs its grossly overloaded that poor 150hp diesel is going to be sucking wind. Squizzy is probably going to keep the truck on a diet to keep the tare weight down so the truck has max "Legal" payload.
My dump truck loaded (but w/o the trailer) weighs about the same as the dump truck (empty) pulling the trailer loaded and seems to run better that way. I always attributed it to the extra wind resistance pulling the trailer (and the extra 8 tires on the ground). Trailer overall length is 30 ft and that creates a lot of wind drag behind the dump truck.
I've been told that flatbedder's can improve their fuel mileage just by tarping their loads. Any way to transition the wind more smoothly over the edges, and fill in the voids can help. I've noticed end-dumps on the highway, and when they forget (or maybe on purpose) to latch the tailgate, the bottom will swing open 2-3 feet. There's alot of air built up infront of it, too get it to do that.
I don't think Squizzy is going to be doing break neck speeds in the Isuzu carrying the excavator :laugh He will be lucky if he can get up to 70-80 km/h carrying a machine and yanking a tool trailer. Who needs to go faster than that anyways.
What, you mean I don't need a 600 cubic inch V8 700 Hp Gas Guzzler???
I don't think you have the song "Get your motor running heading down the highway" on your radio with dark sunglasses on :laugh The big honking V-8 that burns 5 gallons of gas just starting it up is pretty much limited to the USA and parts of Canada. I had to buy some premium fuel for some chainsaw mix it is $ 1.30 per litre for high octane fuel I forget the number I was just looking at the price With the price of diesel fuel at 1.15 per litre a good economical engine is going to be needed.
The wind resistance is probably a good bet with the weight being the same like Bob said. Maybe I'll start running around with the tailgate pinned open barn-door style and shrink-wrap the backhoe like they do to boats being transported. :thumbsup Better not say that too loud - it'll be the next DOT idea. ...Equipment chained and hermetically sealed...
Do an experiment on fuel mileage with tarping your box when mt, and then having it retracted mt, see how much difference it makes. I bet it would make some if you run alot of highway miles.:yup
ULP is $1.26/ltr and diesel is $1.39/ltr here at the moment. Now I have had D***heads on TV and Polticians explain all how the reasons why diesel is more expensive than petrol Blah Blah....what a load of BullShyte. What I should be running on is LPG at 50 cents/litre.
The oil companies are really scared that Biodiesel has a chance of replacing diesel fuel. I wouldn't own a propane powered truck ever again they are a pain in the azz sure the fuel is cheaper but its nothing but head aches.
Not going to happen. If all the land used to produce food and animal feed was used for biofuel it would still produce only a small perdentage of the amount of oil consumed. Ther is just not enough farmable land in the world to produce anywhere near enough fuel.
Well I got the truck finally and it topped out at 90 kph (56 mph) with the excavator and trailer which is a bit dissappointing. It should pull about 110 kph with a full load so over the next few weeks I will post some pics and stuff about getting the Rice Burner up to speed. The main problem is its had too much love from its previous owner..which is all about to change.
Now, for the really important question--what did the kids name it?
"Shingleback" after those lovely looking blue tongued Bobtails what appear on these ere pages from time to time you know..the lizard you called a dinosaur or somethin
OK..Here is the report on the new old truck. Its a 1997 Isuzu NPR 400 long with the tail shortened to take a drop side 13'6" tipper body. Its very stock standard and has one owner (Botanic Gardens) for its massive 47,600 miles with dealer servicing. The computer printout from the dealer list things like belts, hoses, and the usual consumables. The engine is a naturally aspirated 4 pot (4HF1) thats a pretty bulletproof model and is turbo charged on newer models. Good for about 100 horses. 5 speed manual trans with no air (bugger). 16" rubber (12 plys) all round. GVM is 16,100 lbs and it went over the weighbridge empty the other day with a Tare of 8,157 lbs including me..the dog and a full tank of diesel Driving around 40 miles from the dealer to get back to the yard I thought she was a bit sluggish to get going for no load. Never had time to think about it cause I had to drill the holes in the dump body for the ramps, load the skid and get going. My fears confirmed shingleback pulled like slug with a hangover, struggling get past 52 Mph on the highway. First point of call was the air cleaner and low and behold it was packed with sawdust and leaves. I called by my brothers workshop (bro who is mechanic very handy family asset ) and grabbed a Donaldson replacement paper element as no amount of tapping and blowing would clean the old one out. What a difference that makes. So now we weere getting around 59 Mph and she was more like a willing worker. I looked on-line for that Yank mob with the re-useable cotton hi-flow filter (can't remember the name) but can't see a size that will fit...nor could I find a washable foam one from Finer Filters so I'll keep looking.
Next point of call was a newer fuel filter, oil filter and a change to Penrite semi-synthetic oil. Going over the exhaust and the erratic operation of the exhaust brake yielded a couple of clues to poor performance. First the exhaust flange on the inlet side of the muffler is blowing a bit suggesting the muffler is badly clogged. Second is the solenoid valve for the exhaust brake was broken on the vacuum side which may have been affecting the operation of the butterfly valve. Anyway, I got the new solenoid overnight from the dealer but I havent fitted it yet. I'm booked into the exhaust guy tomorrow morning. On saturday I had to take the skid down to my brothers (the mechanic) property and do a heap of work...to pay back all the filters an oil an stuff I got from him . With the exhaust brake decommissioned and a good 50 miles run with a brick on the accelerator we just got to 62 Mph on the flat. The good thing is there is just the faintest hint of black smoke under full acceleration and thats it. The general consensus is the bloody thing has never done any work and has not hauled at highway speeds at all. There is a 25 Mph speed limit in the park where it worked and the thing rarely left the grounds. Some carbon/glaze up is likely and a good flogging is in order. I have to fit the brake controller system and get the Air Con serviced but everything else seems in very good order. I will post a few pics as we go.
That very well could be, with all that slow running it did. Diesels need alot of air, and no restrictions. Does it have a catylitic converter on it too? My Chevy 6.5L diesel has/had one, and it basically is/was just a soot trap. If it has one and you can ditch that too without any worries about passing an inspection,I'd do it also. My IH dump truck had been used as a spare for running from the pit too the redi mix plant, and probobly had 7 zillion(or less) hrs idling. It had alot of blowby from the crankcase breather at first. It slowly cut down with subsequent use to an amount that doesn't concern me enough to do an in-frame on it yet. Hopefully yours will clean up with some highway miles, and start spinning free & easy. It has air conditioning then? What's the other "no air (bugger) about? Something to do with the tranny? No air splitter(range selector), or was it just the air conditioning didn't work? Which brand brake controller are you gonna go with? Good Luck with her Mr. Squizzy (are you gonna have some pics for us once you get her lettered up, and the box work done?)
No cat fitted, the exhaust guy just rang to say the muffler is good but the tail pipe was crushed and has been renewed. The exhaust brake all checks out Ok. No Air brake system The A/C just needs a leak test and gas up. I think its the Voyager one....only thing I need to step down from 24 to 12 volt for it...and not forgetting the brake pedal input so I'll need a two channel step down. Will Doo Mildew.....Called the letteringupMan just a couple of hours ago and he's coming around tomorrow morning. And the skid job I did after picking up the truck last weekend was for the blasting and painting guy...I have so many wheels and deals going I can't remember who owes who what but I'm sure it will work out. Well I'm off to pick up the truck from the exhaust guy who is a mate of our tree lopper. The exhaust guy did my exhaust as a favour for the tree lopper who owed me for a little excavator job! Then I'm taking the bare (and already blasted) body for our tools trailer out to Bob the builder to get the body modified...and I'm gunna pay Bob some cash but he is mates with Harry the blasting guy and Harry owes Bob a favour or two....and.....after that I'm not sure
Need to mount two 8 inch chrome stacks no mufflers make the little 4 banger make some noise :bouncegri Also need a big chrome visor a big chrome drop bumper and lots of chicken lights :yup The little cab overs never have been speed demons but they do run for ever and they do pack a decent load. The exhaust brakes on the little 4 cylinders hold really well too. I don't think Squizzy will have the same problem that affects the Isuzu trucks around here which is orange cancer aka rust. Usually the cab rots off before anything else. I know a few old GMC W4500 and W5000 go 500,000kms the engines never been touched.
I gots a little song too... I'm a little piece of tin Nobody know what shape I'm in Got six wheels and a white top too I'm a two door, I'm an Isuzu Honk Honk Rattle Rattle Rattle Crash Crash Beep Beep Honk Honk Rattle Rattle Rattle Crash Crash Beep Beep.....
Well I'll just ignore the musical/literary attempts lol I fitted the new exhaust brake solenoid and the system works well. Exhaust guy pulled the butterfly valve and everything was in good condition. The old tail pipe was worse than I thought so we fitted a new section, re-routed to give room for an underbody tool box or water tank. Next thing is to do another quick oil change and keep the little girl working. Should be off to have the dump body blasted and painted in a couple of weeks...if I can afford to have it off the road for about 4 days. In the mean time I'll have to wire up the trailer brake system and get the Air-Con sorted...as well as the UHF radio...mobile phone handsfree...12 volt cold box for the tinnies
Pulled the water trap/fuel sedimentor out today and cleaned out some grunge. Blew back through the fuel lines and drained the tank...everything seems cool. The exhaust brake now works excellent. Fixed the rear license plate light today as my nephew is going for his LR (Light Rigid) drivers license on thursday in the little girl. Oh..and the signwriter came and did some work...if I can find my camera we will be fine.
Just a few pic's of the "Shingleback" Ist one is the inside of the fuel sedimentor. 2nd one is of the new solenoid for the exhaust brake fitted up
Ok..next couple (are we bored yet ) are the new tail pipe fitted up to come out in front of the wheels instead of blow dust everywhere when your backing up and the other is of the cab...not much to see other than my overflowing wallet in the door. It has an overhead shelf which is handy.
The next two are just of the truck and the cute little 4 pot...simple as can be and easy to work on.....Hmmmm...I can almost see the maximun fuel screw on that fuel pump...Hmm
Wow... just look how easy that engine is to work on guys! :notworthy That will be really convenient if the 'good flogging' goes awry
Not a spec of rust on that truck I'am jealous :spaz Looks good ready to make you some big money :yup
Good job on the truck Squizzy. :thumbsup I like how the driver can just sit there while the passenger does all the driving. :bouncegri Here in the States, the driver does the driving. :wink2
I'll be the lone dissenting voice--I don't like the hoist. And that opinion stems from personal experience, having owned one like it... :spaz
Ok..I give in..whats the matter with the bloody hoist?...there only about a million of them down here so this had better be good.
Well down here the boss sits and duly corrects the driver and generally offers advice on driving and other worldly things... (I used to drive but since I've been on this forum hangin crap on truck drivers left right and centre I don't think it would be appropriate :bouncegri )
Hey Squizzythat steering wheel is on the wrong side of the truck. :dizzy Man that got to be weird, shifting with your left hand.:spongebob Nice truck.:thumbsup
A post hoist is the only way to go a scissor hoist is heavy and powers out when you overload the box. Any post hoist on a 1 to 2 ton truck will bend the frame before it powers out. Its what I have in my basement ready to get installed on a truck if I ever find one. I can carry the hoist in my hands and its rated for 8 ton try do that with a scissor hoist not likely :bouncegri
C,mon Digger...whats the hoist storey??? Oh crap...I never noticed that...maybe I can get it shifted...then again...that would mean the steering wheel would be on my side of the truck and I'd have to drive instead of yelling at my nephew, drinking beer on the way home and talking on the cell phone.:wink2 Just an update...but haven't got my handy dandy imperial units converter thing handy...but the fuel economy figures are in: Lets see...we got 80 litres for 530 kilometres...and thats loaded and being pushed as hard as she will go....thats 18 gallons for...331 miles...so thats...18.4 Mpg...not very good but its early stages and the engine is spinning better everyday. It should run about 23 Mpg heavily loaded and being driven by a madman rolleyes: ) and around 28 Mpg when I'm running around empty.
28 MPG holly crap! Thats great! :notworthy :thumbsup
I wonder if it has anything to do with this??:beatsme
That would be it then. Tks old son.
Yes indeed. That would be it... :Banghead (Thanks Jeff. I forgot I'd posted those. A picture is worth a thousand words, isn't it?) :yup
I'd forgotten that I'd looked at those before. But anyway, In end dumps it has very little to do with the actual hoist cyclinder and lots to do with the chassis rail and the rear body hinges. The hoist is hinged top and bottom to allow the body to move.
It certainly helps too show how you've arrived at your opinion of those hoist's.:yup
I hate to admit this--it's been so long I don't remember the exact details. (That's the part I hate to admit--that it's been that long.) Anyway... I do recall that I'd had the original hoist rebuilt once, and had further problems, and ended up replacing the whole thing. The guy at the hydraulic shop was able to locate a brand new one, at a reasonable enough price that it was worth just putting that new one in there. That's the one in the picture....
Jeff, isn't it funny how he was less nice to you about this;:bouncegri
I looked for that thread for about 45 min. and couldn't find it. I knew Digger had a leettle oopsie and had posted pics but I couldn't find um because the title wasn't that descriptive. I'm glad the truth is out.....
Scissor hoists are horrible they add weight to your truck and you need a hoist way over rated for the amount of weight you want to actually dump. I had the caculations on the power it takes to dump a body a front mount post hoist takes less power to dump the same load because it has leverage.
Digger, Remember, he's around on the other side of the world. They're all driving around upside-down, so they don't need a heavy-duty hoist when they dump...:yup Joe
I'm with digger on this one. The hoist on my F-550 is like squizzy's and if I'm the least bit off angle with it, it won't come down until I level the truck up. That becomes difficult if you've had to back underneath something to dump. I drove an Autocar dump with a scissors hoist for a few years and was in some pretty precarious positions to dump the load. Scissors style hoists are MUCH more stable than a front piston. In fact, the company I worked for would send either my truck or its twin to deliver loads that were known to be in tough spots. Neither truck ever went over. I often worked on site with this truck and it would be loaded to overflowing. The body always went up when you pulled the lever. A scissors hoist might be a little heavier than a front piston, but that's due to the extra steel involved which is exactly why they are more stable. Each style hoist has their place.
Yeah, but they need "power down"... Reference scissor vs post types, the one I liked best was "none of the above". It was the one I eventually used to replace the damaged one in those pictures. Since the whole subframe was trashed, I cut the subframe and bed rails off the bed of my very first dump truck (which had a bed that was pretty much junk from the floor up.) I welded that whole assembly to the crossmembers of the bed in the pictures. The hoist that came with that setup was a three stage cylinder, but it was mounted just about in the middle of the bed. It was probably 8 or 10 inches in diameter, and 18" long when collapsed. It stuck down between the frame rails of the truck itself just a little, so I had to relocated the vacuum reservoir to outside the frame. I also had to piggyback the hydraulic tank onto the truck hydralic tank (that setup had a tank that was integral to the subframe assembly, between the rails,) in order to have enough fluid to extend it all the way. It used that much more than the skinny post cylinder it replaced. A bigger pump would've helped then, because it was sort of slow to raise, but it worked. I don't know how much use it had over its lifespan, but since it outlasted the original bed, and served for the rest of the useful life of the Ford in the picture, I'd have to say it was a pretty durable setup.
Digger, Any chance to get a pic of it? So it was kind of a hybrid? A sectioned cylinder that attached generally where a scissor would to the body? Would an aluminum body be more stable when dumping than a steel one of the same size?
Sorry, I'm 99.9% sure I don't have a picture of it, and it's long gone. And yes, it was located roughly where a scissor hoist would've mounted. It didn't require a doghouse, any more than a scissor hoist would have. It wasn't a hybrid, at least not in the sense that I use that word. It was specifically built to be right there, where it was. At the top mounting, there was a flat plate about 3/4 of an inch thick that carried the load from the bed's frame rails. It was tough enough that once a hired driver we had, backed into a spot where he was tilted too far to one side. Goofball raised the bed, but thought better of it about halfway up, because it started feeling like it was going go go over, sooo..., he lowered the bed. The only problem was that he had the driver's door open and the cab protector crushed the top of the door--that's how badly it was tilting. It popped some welds in the subframe, but never bothered that cylinder...
One of the stronger dumping systems that is stable is lift cylinders like a rolloff truck you have two cylinders pushing. Almost 99% of the lumber trucks have them under a 16' dumping flatdeck. A flatdeck does twist more than a gravel box. One truck I was inquiring about the owner had installed a new scissor hoist and I asked why he said the old one part of the hoist frame let go and punched right through the deck. The forces to make a scissor hoist is far greater because that hydraulic cylinder has no leverage its brute force to make the deck lift. The only way to make less strain is move the hoist closer to the cab then it decreases your dump angle. Move the hoist closer to the hinges it gives you a better dump angle but you loose capacity. Under body Hoist www.delhydraulics.com/hoists/undermount.html This is what I have www.delhydraulics.com/hoists/fmount.htm
Digger, Sorry, I didn't mean hybrid in the cobbled up / slapped together sense. I meant that it seemed to be taking the best of both of the other systems and making a 1+1=3 kinda thing.:thumbsup Did that guy move to MD? Cause I think I worked with him before.... Or is this one of those thinly veiled confession stories that start - "I have this friend and he..." :wink2
I think he came from down here...we have a couple of villages that are lacking "in house" amusement.
I have no idea where he went. He may still be right there in town. And no, it wasn't me. The worst part was that I'd said to him specifically to be careful about not being on an angle when dumping, just an hour earlier. (And I didn't feel like getting into the details earlier when I posted that but the reason he was on such an angle was that he'd gotten the driver's side rear wheels into a hole that hadn't been compacted when it was filled, and that side was sunk almost to the axle. The frame was alredy getting pretty well twisted, and he thought he'd be able to pull out of the hole if he dumped the load. I guess I should be grateful that he didn't break an axle trying to horse the truck out of that spot, which it would easily enough have done--I know that because I did it, actually a couple of times.) :Banghead
May I know where is the number 1 piston of 4HF1 engine?
I will give you the same instructions I was given in 1976, see a head on coming raise your legs, feet on dash!! CO Freightliners were horrible crush cans to be in a frontal accident with, absolutely first on scene of the accident when driving one and if did not lift your legs generally lost one or both.