Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1987 JCB 1400B / tech advice /Operators Manual & Parts Book

John Fitz · 2020-03-13 21:43

Hello. I recently acquired a 10 yr dormant 1987 JCB 1400B (Ser No: 14BN2077-329347-7) which came with a service manual & workshop manual (4.236) but no operator's or parts manual. Unfortunately, I don't know a lot about diesels/larger backhoes but have been learning exponentially as I have to get it moved off buddy's land in the next two weeks. I've operated smaller machines and a few various bobcats for personal use but nothing too big. As most folks here know an arm & a leg are still not enough to buy these old manuals-the parts one especially. I can't even find an operators manual in English on fleabay. If you search awhile, you can find a few free 1400B service/workshop PDF links but no free "Operators Manual"/"Parts Book". A site called 777parts.net has a comprehensive pay-for parts database if you wanna give them $10 for 24 hrs. Fortunately, they expose a few OE part numbers with the distorted parts diagrams they allow you to see which helps validate some of the correct parts I need. I've been working on the engine predominantly and haven't really traced the function of three push/pull levers in the cab. One of them, a white oblong lever, is right next to front loader controls to the right-front of the seat so that correlation is more obvious. The other two are a horizontal round white one a few inches above the ignition key (start/stop?) and a black vertical oblong lever left of the steering console, a few inches from the windshield. Any links to these two manuals would help me concentrate on more important tasks like trying to get this beast started. Thanks in advance for any help/advice anyone can provide.

Replies47
  1. #1John Fitz2020-03-23 21:23

    Well, I figured ten days should prolly have been enough time to get someone that could answer these seemingly fairly simple questions. I didn't realize when I posted that there aren't that many folks that use this forum any longer. I did figure out that the white lever next to the loader lever and emergency brake is a kill switch cable attached to the injector pump. I was also able to access JCB's UK residents only parts database online using my VPN. I have hundreds of screenshots of every single part of my 1400B now if anyone needs a copy. A free copy of an operators manual is still elusive however.

  2. #2excavator2020-03-23 22:20

    Old JCB backhoes are hard to find information on and the parts, if available, are expensive. I have a customer who has a 1700 and it's been somewhat of a challenge.

  3. #3John Fitz2020-03-24 20:44

    Tell me about it. Fortunately, the hoe's controls are fairly intuitive and I love the old school mechanical functions overall but especially under the hood. No need for expensive diagnostic gadgets. JCB's parts database is also comprehensive and so far very reliable. Believe it or not, literally, the ONLY two parts I don't see on the graph pics nor the corespondent part descriptions are the two knobs I haven't tried tracing yet. I'm pretty sure the black vertical oblong push/pull handle on top of heater assembly on dash board, will control something in there. The round white push/pull knob, a few inches above ignition is still a mystery. Eventually, I'll trace it but getting this beast started is priority one. Hopefully, the only potentially consequential and unknown knob (the white one), won't hinder my progress.

  4. #4John Fitz2020-03-25 22:53
  5. #5John Fitz2020-03-25 22:58

    Well evidently while going screenshot crazy copying every pic/part number on JCB's web site, I missed a page. The Body link that contained the Bonnet (hood) components revealed the black lever in the middle pic above as the cable release lever. Someone removed the cable 20+ years ago. My "bonnet" just lifts up to locked position without releasing anything. Closing it is a simple flick of the support mechanism. Two down, one to go . The first pic above, the white push/pull lever, is frozen solid (pushed in). I may have to pull dash apart for this last one. The last pic above is the kill push/pull lever in between emergency brake and loader control lever.

  6. #6casey5182020-04-02 10:45

    Im not sure about the one above the ignition. I don't have it in my 87 3cx

  7. #7Carlos12020-04-27 19:52

    I WOULD BE VERY INTERESTED IN SEEING THE SCREEN SHOTS OF THE JCB1400B … THANK YOU FOR THE OFFER.. IS IT IN PDF?

  8. #8John Fitz2020-04-28 10:02

    No PDF but if you have a gmail account I can send it to you no problem. It's about 84 mb.

  9. #9Carlos12020-04-28 19:47

    hello John my email address is [email protected] if you still want to share the docs on the JCb 1400b by the way John have you or do you know of anyone who has done the jcb to ISO control conversion on a JCB1400b 1989.? I am struggling with the change and wonder the best way to get to the master block and change relief valves etc.

  10. #10John Fitz2020-04-28 21:57

    Sent. I got some weird Google Drive messages, freaking out with file permissions. If you have any issues let me know.

  11. #11Carlos12020-04-29 18:35

    Hello John, you seem to be familiar with JCB backhoes by any chance are you familiar or know of anyone who has changed the controls from JCB to ISO or SAE. I am most familiar with excavator. where the boom goes up with the right hand towards the operator. dipstick on left same way.

  12. #12Carlos12020-04-29 18:37

    John I forgot to mention that we are dealing with a recently purchased JCB 1400B 1989. it is very hard if not impossible in the field to get to the hydraulic hose distribution block from under the backhoe.

  13. #13Coytee2020-04-29 19:41

    I don't know if you still have any questions.... I've got a 1550-B and might be able to help a small bit. Yours IS a bit different than mine but here's my take/guess Lever on left next to windshield.... is the "hood" release. I think you've figured this out. Also, on mine, is a safety lever on the left side (as facing hood) in the front hinge. Your picture with the "T" lever next to the loader is the kill. That will kill the fuel flow somehow and is how you stop the machine. I've actually replaced mine once but don't recall much else about it! The lever next to it is your "cruise control" .... or your throttle so when you're using your hoe, you can adjust your engine speed as needed. It is SUPPOSED to be linked to the foot throttle such that, if you "stab" at the foot throttle, it will PULL the hand throttle all the way down to the bottom, giving full authority to the foot. I'm not sure mine still does this... likely an adjustment thing for me. I've got no clue about the switch near the key. Mine doesn't have that at all so I'm clueless. I have what is supposed to be a service manual, PDF for my unit. I think there are some similarities between the 1400 and 1500. I don't know if my connection (sattelite dish) will handle it but am happy to try to email it to you. I tried to upload it here but it's too large. I'm having steering issues with mine, having just pulled the steering pump off yesterday, so here's an example of what's in my book. Richard

  14. #14Coytee2020-04-29 19:45

    Your hand throttle looks jacked WAY up. (using mine as reference) For me, to have machine at idle, the hand throttle would be pushed down. To give it more fuel/speed, you would lift it and putting it in the position yours seems to be in would be totally wide open. I wouldn't want to start the machine with it in that position. There is a knob on the end, yours is missing. The knob isn't important, but might make it easier to lift when you're operating the hoe and it's now behind you on the left.

  15. #15John Fitz2020-04-29 20:19

    Sry, I am actually a very new owner of my yellow beast and have been learning on the fly. I'm still trying to figure out why Google Drive is freaking out on me.

  16. #16Coytee2020-04-30 07:44

    I don't want to sound disrespectful.....but, I'm not sure I agree with you. I can sit (on my butt on the ground) and have decent headroom to work under there. The trick (for what I've done) is you have to decide which side underneith do you want to work on??? Let's say the left (passenger) side as you are sitting in backhoe seat looking backwards. If you want to work on the left side, you have to swing the hoe to the LEFT side and by doing that, the internals underneith will swing to the RIGHT side, giving you the room. Now, yeah.....you're still going to be crawling around like a monkey and you don't want to do this in your Sunday Clothes.... but it can be done. All you'd need to do/know is which hose goes where and make the swaps. Or at lease, that's my take on how I'd approach replumbing the hoses.

  17. #17Carlos12020-04-30 09:27

    Thank you for the advice but while working on hoses and internal core swaps an individual can’t swing with open hydraulic hoses? Also when you sit under the swing boom is the machine lifted only by the left and right lifters?

  18. #18John Fitz2020-04-30 12:23

    Thanks Coytee. I have all the manuals I need except for the "Operator's" Manual/Handbook. None of the other show that lever above ignition key. I could eventually take apart dashboard and find out. I didn't realize such a visible part would be so elusive.

  19. #19John Fitz2020-04-30 12:27

    Carlos, did you get the files I sent. I used Google Drive directly to share instead of uploading through Gmail/Drive if that makes sense.

  20. #20John Fitz2020-04-30 13:12

    Coytee, "Your picture with the "T" lever next to the loader is the kill. That will kill the fuel flow somehow and is how you stop the machine. I've actually replaced mine once but don't recall much else about it!" Mine is frozen at the lever in the cab but you can force the exposed cable portion manually back where it's connected to injection pump. I didn't know if it was frozen on the pump itself. It's not. The kill switch lever on the pump is pushed all the way forward which I assume is the normal position. My buddy who recently gave me the machine received a brain injury years ago. It hasn't been started in over 10 years and he barely used it at all (personal use only). I drained fuel tank first of course and ran attached magnet inside bottom of tank so sediment filter coming out of tank didn't get inundated with too much crap. Then I replaced the fuel filter. I bled the filter and 2 bleeders on the injector pump per instructions. I then put a fairly new fully charged battery in it. It turned over really strong but it wasn't getting fuel to injectors. I just replaced fuel pump and filter again just in case and am getting ready to bleed again today. I really hope the injector pump isn't bad $$$. There's a leak in a hose or in radiator somewhere also but if I can deal with that later. If I can just get it started I'll dance a jig.

  21. #21Carlos12020-04-30 13:25

    John did you send under the forum or to my email address?

  22. #22John Fitz2020-04-30 15:02

    I sent it to your Gmail/Google Drive account. Do you use Drive?

  23. #23John Fitz2020-04-30 15:11

    If you open your Google Apps/Drive link you should see the "Shared with me" link on the left side of the page.

  24. #24Carlos12020-05-01 19:20

    can anyone in the backhoe and excavator business tell me what this JCB backhoe pattern is? ISO? JCB standard? JCB modified? for North America SAE excavator north America etc? thanks for your feedback my quest is to convert it to SAE format; boom and bucket right hand; stick and swing left hand.

  25. #25Coytee2020-05-02 09:15

    I suppose that would get you more headroom under there but I would never put myself under something like that 'trusting' the hoses to hold fast (which they likely would however, it only takes one time....) No, I just set machine on flat ground. I DO lower the stabilizers to the ground but just so they can't fall (in event I remove/loosen their hoses). It's not designed to work under there (I have no idea what thought they put into the design) but it is high enough under there to get stuff done if you don't mind crawling around and possibly crawling OUT through spilled oil.

  26. #26Carlos12020-05-13 18:53

    thank you Coytee but can you help which hoses old and new location to be changed for JCB control to ISO do inner cores need to be changed also? which ones have relief valves? etc

  27. #27Jlap5302020-06-11 19:49

    Not an expert here, but I believe all the controls for the backhoe have their own relief valves. They are all set to the same pressures. All the hoses coming off should be the same size. The cores are all identical. Simply swapping the hoses to the lever you want should be the whole job. Just make sure you get the in/out for each valve moved as a set. As long as you label everything you can't mess it up too bad. Good luck and have plenty of rags handy.

  28. #28Carlos12020-06-11 21:27
  29. #29Carlos12020-06-11 21:36

    Thank you I believe the boom left hand control hoses are 5/8” bottom of piston 1/2” top of piston Right hand crowd cylinder bottom piston 5/8” top cylinder 1/2” You might be correct I will check and get back to you. I am most grateful because I just need to swap the 4 hoses for the two cylinders Doing it from under the machine seems tricky because on ones back you still need to reach up to control box and swap hoses? Now if one can sit on the ground under the machine it is probably easier Do you need to remove large rear tires?

  30. #30Jlap5302020-06-12 07:20

    I would still swap them under the machine at the control valves, but if you have a handy spot outside the machine it should work. You might need to buy longer hoses or something. I would not get under the machine without the tires on. It's obnoxious and messy and frustrating under there, but it's doable.

  31. #31Jp2742020-08-21 14:47

    Does anyone have a parts manual? I have all the others just need a parts book. Thanks Joe

  32. #32popps2020-10-27 01:23

    Thank you for the 777parts.net site, I may go with that and screenshot the pages

  33. #33Robsallee2022-07-07 01:21

    I would much appreciate a copy of the pictures or anything available for a manual - I just purchased a 1400B [email protected]

  34. #34Tinkerer2022-07-07 07:19

    Welcome to HEF, Rob ! I have an operators manual and a service manual. I don't know if they are for your particular machine tho. The images are copy's of their descriptions.

  35. #35John Fitz2022-07-07 14:58

    I have a ton of stuff that may help. Carlos had a bit of trouble downloading it from my archived stuff off google drive but I'll send/share it fresh off my desktop straight to your Gmail account. Google, because of file size limitations, still sends it via "drive" anyway during upload but hopefully it works better. I also have a lot of other info (some redundant) that I've collated when saving links, copy/pasting, screen grabbing, and hand typing loads of condensed notes for reference, etc. that may help. Let me know if there's anything specific and I'll see if I can help.

  36. #36Tinkerer2022-07-07 16:47

    John; Perhaps you know, but for those don't. After uploading a file to Google drive, there are two ways to share it. #1. An invitation to share it can be sent to your intended recipient in an email. #2. You can copy the direct link to the file and send it to the recipient. But, doing that allows the recipient to send or post that link to anyone they want to. I don't care to have people unknown I don't know downloading anything in My Drive, so I just remove the file as soon as the intended recipient downloads it. All email services have a limit on the size of any file it will transfer. Gmail for example is 25mb.

  37. #37kkcomp2022-07-21 19:15

    Would you be willing to send the files to [email protected]

  38. #38John Fitz2022-07-21 20:10

    I just shared them. Good luck.

  39. #39kkcomp2022-07-21 20:23

    Thank you very much!!!

  40. #40Revauto2023-01-02 18:33

    Hi, I just purchased a basket case 1400B and would like to see if you could share the files with me as well. Thanks [email protected]

  41. #41MuleSkinners2023-10-13 15:26

    Does anyone have pdf for parts listing 87 JCB 1400B?

  42. #42vintagecarlover2025-04-04 08:44

    Well hello all. I'm now in the JCB backhoe owners club. Have had old backhoes before but usually old Fords and a Kioti. Machine has 2 cylinders off for repacking so first rule of business is get battery charged and cylinders reinstalled. Then there's a long list but I'd love to acquire the manuals for the 1400b. Pic is for attn. [email protected] for email. Any insight or suggestions highly welcome and appreciated. I'm a bobcat owner x 4 but don't hold that against me. Lol

  43. #43casey5182025-04-04 09:00

    May be able to help. What's your machine number? First order is to check/change the hydraulic filter. Many never get changed and end up rupturing, sending all sorts of nasty debris to the pump.

  44. #44John Fitz2025-04-05 12:58

    I just shared a Google-Drive folder I put together for a chap not long ago. If you have trouble accessing them or need something else that will help, let me know.

  45. #45rmallow2025-04-11 12:57

    Good day all, I have a machine (SN 334036) that I would absolutly love to get any available manuals on. Currently working on a "No Start" issue I beleive to be caused by the start relay not getting full voltage while cranking. Only seeing about 4.5 volts while cranking, on the ignition side of the ignition switch (2 white wires). Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thank you, -Ryan

  46. #46metty2025-05-03 18:14

    I would also appreciate access if you dont mind. just picked up a 1400B today that needs some love. my email is jonmetty at gmail dot com

  47. #47Wilkins2025-05-27 13:09

    If you would share the info you have also would be greatly appreciated email is [email protected] , 1400b sn339268/7. When I got it it was stuck in 2nd gear we have dropped trans new bearings, clutch pack, shift fork. Now have all gears but very weak in reverse and hydraulics very weak after running 15-20 minutes don’t know where to test hydraulic pressure at? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks John