So I have been reading though all the information I can find and I cannot for the life of me make a final determination on what transmission I have in my 1987 JCB 1400B. My serial number : 330653 On the gearbox: RATIO: 114542 Serial No: 445/078/5/8005 I swore I it should by Type F ATF, but I do not have a service manual for my serial number; the one I have is for 337001 and on
I’ve called 6 dealers and they all immediately say 10W transmission fluid. Really appreciate the help.
(Sorry to be clear I am still seeking help/clarification on what specific fluid I need)
Though I know nothing about your machine, I have (what I believe to also be) a 1987, 1550B. I've had it now for likely over 20 years. New tires, fix leaking cylinder or hose... the forward/reverse on the left side cracked a solder joint inside it (wouldn't go into drive), figured that out and resoldered it, NEW oil cooler up front, had a break in the wire from alternator to battery so would never charge battery (until brother in law tracked it down and fixed it) I'm trying to think of "ALL" that's gone wrong with it over the years... Oh, seems some dumbazz didn't torque the front wheel's down enough so one day one of them slipped off of their "lip" that it rides on.... messed up the hub so had to buy a new hub for front wheel. Had absolute NIGHTMARE fits trying to fix/replace a kingpin on a front wheel. Seems the bearings had worn out so to replace them you "simply" take it apart. It was a frigging nightmare. Finally, a friend of mine fabricated a triangle. It slipped over the kingpin (had a hole in it for pin to traverse) and deep enough to stand a 30 ton bottle jack in it. We cranked on this thing and it wasn't budging Then, I got an idea and took a sledge and hit the front axle sideways to jar things and BAM the entire machine had a BIG shake (there was a LOT of pressure there) the kingpin moved something like 1/4" BUT I knew once it moved, we owned it. Got that replaced. I don't recall anything else of worthy mention.... point being I've had it a long time, it's been STONE reliable but has had some issues. I've done all maintainence myself other than track down broken wire from starter to battery and had friend help with king pin. What I was told to use in mine and what I HAVE used: (notes I've put into a spreadsheet) Hydraulic Fluid: AW-32 (18 gallons-dry) Transmission Fluid: Dextron (roughly 3-gallons) Inner air filter: 32/202601 Outer air filter: 32/202602 Idle speed: 650 Owners Parts Book: $75 (quote from years ago) Service Manual: $225 (same) My local Komatsu dealer used to sell JCB (and in fact, sold THIS machine to TVA years ago). They've dropped JCB but still have ability to get parts. I simply call JCB in Savannah at 9112-447-2000 (I presume that's still correct number) JCB is brought into the US at Savannah and there is a huge facility in Savannah on Hwy 95. Right on the hwy, hard to miss! So maybe instead of calling dealers, you can talk to JCB themselves? Oh, forgot.... My transmission fluid got to be bright pink & milky. I had a leak. Turns out the rubber boot that is on the transmission (where shifter passes through) had rotted away. My machine has no doors AND the rubber boot in the CAB had rotted away. Rain hits gear shifter, dribbles its way down, straight into transmission. Got the boot replaced, drained trans fluid. Lifted rear wheels off ground. Filled with diesel and ran gears forward/backwards for 5-10 minutes then filled with maybe TWO gallons dextron, ran again and drained that. Then filled back up. Mine has been good to me. It's old & creaky but I can get it started and it doesn't drip anywhere (because I keep those fixed).
Oops, seemed I messed up their phone: Address : 2000 Bamford Blvd, Pooler, GA 31322 Phone : (912) 447-2000 Closed · Opens 8 AM Mon