Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1987 mack mixer truck

bigin73 ยท 2016-11-04 17:12

I am working on a mixer truck starting first thing Monday morning. I have a ?.No dash lights and gauges are not working. The truck runs just everything in the cab doesn't work.I going to test relays first thing my second question is what is the name of the electrical switch that acts like a solenoid that controls all of the dash lights and gauges I know what it looks like I just forgot the name please help thank you

Replies7
  1. #1repowerguy2016-11-04 21:54

    Main power relay, just to the left of the fuse panel. Start the truck and then rap the relay a time or two with a wrench and it will usually snap and all will work, until the next time. It's a pretty common fail point.

  2. #2bigin732016-11-05 21:16

    Relays I did find on the passenger side under a panel they are several relays. Can you tell me does it look different then them and what side is it on?

  3. #3repowerguy2016-11-06 05:18

    It should be a silver colored continuous duty relay with #10 or so wires on it. Take a jumper wire and go around to the big studs and see then if the cab powers up.

  4. #4thepumpguysc2016-11-06 05:25

    Isnt the panel behind the glove box.?? or am I thinking newer versions..

  5. #5repowerguy2016-11-06 06:01

    The R models didn't really have a glove box, the panel on the right covers the fuse, breaker panel. The main relay is really best accessed by taking out the right hand gauge panel also for hand access. You might be thinking of CH Macks pump guy.

  6. #6bigin732016-11-06 06:58

    It's not really a dash it's just a cover and I did lift it up I seen the relays but I will look for the electrical box just got the studs I remember seeing that and I will go down through there with a jumper wire and figure it out

  7. #7bigin732016-11-07 19:20

    So on this truck it has fuse and relays.All fuse are good .don't no how to check continuity on relays. No power on this board on the firewall.