I have a 2003 IH 4300 dump truck. Dt466 with an Allison transmission. When I run the interstate for 20 to 30 min and hit the off ramp if I come to a complete stop the engine rpm and oil psi will drop until the engine dies. I thought that the torque converter might not be unlocking but the local Allison dealer says no problem detected. Truck does this empty or loaded. Truck has 235 xxx miles. Any ideas? Possible TPS issue?
If its a HEUI system, electric and not mechanical injection, you need to get the codes out of it.. Oil pressure and sensors fire the injectors.. oil pressure drops, engine shuts off.. I've seen very low oil level create all sorts of problems.. Most common problem is broken orings on injectors..
New injectors with less than 3K miles.
I'm thinking if it was a fuel tank issue, it'd take longer than a few seconds. does the oil pressure drop ahead of the decrease in engine rpm? or is the oil pressure following engine rpm.
Oil psi follows rpm.
I took it into Cumberland International this AM. After running 30 min unloaded at 65 to 70 MPH and coming to a stop at the exit ramp light it did its stall thing. Had to wait about 30 min before it would start to get it down the street to the dealer. I did notice that the water temp was at 210 when it stalled. After it restarted it was at 160 degrees. I suspect that I might have a fan clutch or thermostat issue. I will let you know what the dealer has to say.
I don't know if your system is electric or mechanical injectors, I had an intermittent die off caused by a faulty cam position sensor but that was heui injection
Cam sensor replaced less than 8K miles ago.
Your engine uses a HEUI fuel system. I have ran into quite a few internationals with the HEUI system that would not start when hot. It's usually caused by a leaking seals on the high pressure oil supplied to the injectors. Does your truck have cruise switches in the steering wheel? If so you can read the codes through the instrument display. If it has a leak in the high pressure oil supply you should have a code for: Failed To Build ICP While Cranking. Terry
Took it to the International dealer. IAC, cam sensor, TPS, wire overlay. $2200. Runs like it should now.