Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1988 D3B RADIATOR

grandpadozer d3b ยท 2024-04-15 21:27

Hello new here, Can I remove my radiator from machine without dropping front skid plate?

Replies9
  1. #1Nige2024-04-15 21:53

    I don't think so but supply a machine Serial Number and I can easily check.

  2. #2grandpadozer d3b2024-04-15 21:56

    Thanks for responding, I kinda thought I would have to to access bottom bolts on radiator.

  3. #3grandpadozer d3b2024-04-15 22:09

    Mine only has 7 digits? Has 3204 engine

  4. #4Nige2024-04-15 23:04

    Here's the R&I procedure. I have some other news for you. Your tractor 28Y00295 was built in 1979, not 1988.

  5. #5grandpadozer d3b2024-04-15 23:10

    Well I guess that was another lie the seller told me. Thanks so much for your help and work you put in to it!

  6. #6Nige2024-04-15 23:56

    The last 28Y machine ever built was produced in June 1988. Yours was one of the first, only 4 months after the first machine came off the production line.

  7. #7Welder Dave2024-04-18 03:22

    Double post, site was acting up again

  8. #8Welder Dave2024-04-18 03:23

    That is an early D3B, the 67th one made according to a booklet I have. If it's like a 931B, you have to take the nose off and then remove the rad. You can't just remove the rad. If I recall you need to get a couple of forged lifting eyes to thread into the nose to attach a lifting chain or sling. I don't think the front belly guard with the tow hook needs to be removed. Keep track of all the mounting blocks and spacers. I had to take the nose to a rad shop and one of the mounting blocks was missing from when they removed the rad. Thankfully they found it under a work bench. I was working outside in the dirt and it was awkward to try to remove the rad. there. The shop re-corded the rad and dipped it to strenghten the fins. They did a good job but not sure I would go back to them. It cost me $1100 about 20 years ago but one of the guys there was pretty rude because I brought the nose in. I can see it for maybe a $200 repair but it wasn't a big job to remove and I had to put it back in. That's when I discovered the missing mounting block. Guy just being a bit of a jerk. It was also in the middle of winter so not fun working on in the cold. Most shops are pretty good about doing an extra step to help a customer out but this guy sure wasn't. I'm sure I was charged for more time than it took.

  9. #9grandpadozer d3b2024-04-18 07:22

    Thanks for the info. I kinda figured with my luck it wouldn't be simple fix!