2011 D6N LGP Serial: GHS00570 Hey there. I’m having an issue with the above listed machine braking aggressively. There is no in between. As soon as you begin to depress the brake pedal, it brakes at 100% and does not gradually brake when gradually applying pressure. I do not currently have any fancy CAT software or programs and was trying to do it myself before hauling it to a CAT dealer. Hoping it’s an easy solenoid replacement or there close to. Thanks in advance.
Did it happen like this all of a sudden or has it been getting worse over time.? Do you know how to use the Mode switch on the dash panel to switch from the hour meter to display Diagnostic Codes.?
It’s been the same since we got it, this time last year. No better, no worse. Switching from the hour meter to diagnostics… no, I do not.
Assuming that the paper copy of the Operation & Maintenance Manual is no longer in the pocket behind the seat your first objective should be to get hold of one, especially with a machine as electronic as this one is. Doubly so if you do all the maintenance as well. Here is a LINK to a genuine OEM one on eBay for $42. "Use the arrow button to highlight the desired selection in order to navigate through the menus and submenus. Then press the OK button. Also, use the arrow button to highlight a mode or parameter setting. Then, press the OK button in order to select that option." Attached is an extract from the manual showing the available options within the Service Menu. You need to pay particular attention to any Diagnostic Codes or Events that are Active.
You assume right. No manual with the machine. Thank you for the link to get one! Will get one ordered right away. I’m coming up on 5 years here in June of being in business and manuals for all the machines I know I should have but I get so caught up with things and never get them but moving forward need too. Then when the problem is taken care of, out of sight, out of mind. I’m working on getting into the office full time this year and having someone run the field for me. A partner will be buying in and so this should allow me to manage a lot better. At any rate, getting back to it. I’ll attach some photos I took of the codes.
And then, I started the motor and was at the brake function option within the menu screen and took 2 photos of the pedal not being depressed and one while it was being depressed. Don’t know if it helps but figure I’d post it just in case.
Did the three photos include ALL of the Codes when you scrolled right the way down to the bottom.? Because on the 3rd photo it looks as though the sliding cursor is not all the way to the bottom of the screen.
Good thing you did. Try pressing harder on the pedal because when it is almost at the bottom of its travel the status of the "Brake Pedal Switch" should change from "Released" to "Depressed" and the parameter for the brake solenoid should register how many amps are being sent to it when the pedal is depressed.
You’re right. There are more codes. I can go back out there snap some more photos of them also, I’ll get a picture of the brake pedal depressed all the way as well. Be back soon
OK, so first up both the switch and the position sensor for the service brake pedal appear to be working correctly. Can you double check the position of the pedal where the switch status changes from Released to Depressed.? It should change when the pedal is about 1/2" to 1" from the bottom of its travel. Is that the FULL list of Codes now.? What was the approximate hour meter reading when you bought the machine last year.?
Yes, it does change within the 1" from bottom of travel. No, I don't believe it's the full list of current codes because a lot of them have occurrences many, many hours ago. I believe they just have not been cleared from the time that it had been fixed. Honestly, we haven't put 250 hrs on it.
I understand that, but if the problem was present when you first bought the tractor then potentially we're going to have to look waaaaaay back for somethng that might be relevant. EDIT: Specifically you are looking for something on that list with an "X" in the RH column, indicating that the Code in question is Active, rather than a "--" as per all the photos you have posted so far.
The reason I asked was because the brake pedal switch applies the park brake when it is fully depressed.
Ok, that all makes sense.
Please double check my recent EDIT above.
Ok, the only one that pops up with an "x" is a code for the transmission oil temp sensor voltage low (2) code: 177-4. I think this is new and due to me cleaning things up underneath the foot and seat plate. There was an exposed set of wires that are now free from all the hydraulic oil crud build up. I have never seen this code ever pop up like it does now. I'm either going to replace the wires or electrical tape them so they're not exposed.
Sorry for the late response but I did get this issue resolved and it ended up being the brake solenoid. The mechanic then had to recalibrate the brakes. Now it stops and brakes as it should. While he was in there replacing the solenoid, he also replaced seals and some other pieces, being he was already there.