I just bought a cat D4H high roller dozer. I'm having a real issue finding the track height adjustment value. She's a strong machine but needs a little tlc. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Do you mean track adjustment? There was a recent thread on that topic. Adding the sag on either side of the carrier roller I think it was about 2.2 inches but not 100% positive. If you use the search function on the forum or Google it the Cat track manual should come up that has the dimensions and adjustment procedure. I'm on my phone and don't know how to add the link.
Thank you very much. I've tried to find info for it on Google to end. I'll give er a shot on Monday, Chris.
The first thing I would suggest is that you need to get hold of an Operation & Maintenance Manual. if you post a Serial Number we can help you identify the correct one. Very useful if you are doing your own maintenance. They are somewhere in the $40-50 price range.
Regarding track tension here's how you do it..... Have the dozer on level ground, blade lifted up about 6”. Run forward at medium RPM in 1st gear. Simultaneously flick the transmission lever to neutral and hit the decelerator. Let the tractor stop on its own without touching the brakes. When the tractor is stopped apply the park brake. Gently lower the blade to the ground. Measure track sag - Stretch a piece of string tight over the top of the tracks from the drive sprocket to the front idler. Measure down from the string to the top of whichever grouser is in the centre of the bow in the track. The sum of measurements 3 + 4 should ideally be around 2.8" with Min/Max values of 2.0" and 3.6". It is highly unlikely that the track will sag as shown in the diagram with both parts sagging equally either side of the carrier roller. When the tracks are tensioned correctly, measurement 'X' (tensioner extension) should be no more than 3.9"
Thank you so very much. Thats exactly what ive been looking for.
Then there are some of us that has never measured a thing when adjusting tracks. Good ole eye ball.
The older I get the more I want to be book smart lol