Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1988 D4h XL Fuel Issue

colton26 ยท 2026-04-21 11:10

I have been working on a 88 D4hxl for a while trying to clear a driveway and a right of way for power. It keeps stalling out like it was starving for fuel. I have changed the main fuel filter as well as the air filters and fuel shut off solenoid. I took off the little elbow and cleaned the screen inside cause it was stopped up with rust. Ran great for about an hour and started stalling and shut down again. All pressures are in spec. Is there anyway to install an inline filter so it wont stop up that little screen all the time. Note: Dozer sat up for years so tank probably has some trash in it. I do plan to pull and clean it when the tank gets low again.

Replies4
  1. #1Mquinista2026-04-21 11:17

    There u have it!!! That tractor has a sump plug, clean tank and lines. new strainer and filter. Thats whats needed.

  2. #2colton262026-04-21 11:22

    Is there another filter on the tank. Could i put a secondary inline filter coming off the bottom on the fuel cut off switch just to help

  3. #3Nige2026-04-21 12:37

    Have you tried opening the tank drain valve to see what comes out of it.?

  4. #4John C.2026-04-24 20:15

    I had a customer with a Komatsu with the same problem. I found that tank had the bacterial growth inside and the machine would only run a few minutes at a time before plugging up that screen. I had the customer get the bug killer from his fuel supplier while I got an in line filter from the local Napa store. It was the one for diesel and not what what you would use on your car. Took some run time to get it flushed out and lots of pulling and cleaning that in line screen.