Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1988 Ford dump with automatic

jab-law ยท 2012-12-22 08:34

I'm looking at a 1988 F-800 Ford dump truck with automatic transmission. It has 39,000 miles. It was used as a city snow plow, and has the short bed dump forward and back. Not sure about the engine size or make, other than it is diesel. I am concerned about the automatic transmission. Are these any good? Do they last? Any problems to look out for? Over all, are these trucks good? Any opinions appreciated.

Replies6
  1. #1Steve Frazier2012-12-22 11:26

    It is more than likely an Allison transmission and they are stout trannys. It would help to get the model number off it. I believe that year truck will have the Ford 6 cylinder diesel which is also a pretty good engine. There would be a "Ford Diesel" emblem on the side of the hood. Other wise it would be a Caterpillar 3208 and I personally wouldn't own a truck with that engine.

  2. #2jab-law2012-12-22 18:24

    Thanks Steve. I'll check out the engine. Good to hear about the transmission.

  3. #3denver m farms2012-12-22 19:41

    To me the auto no matter what kind is a strike against it, For a single axle dump a ford is one of the most disirable to me. The ford diesel imo is a fine engine. The other big deal would be you really want air brakes if it don't have them you sould probably keep looking unless this one is a bargain and is in just about new condition. In a perfect world it would have air brakes a ford engine and a 5x2 transmition but if it is not going to be used hard and every day you can get by with almost anything. Hope this helps if i can help with anything else please let me know.

  4. #4jab-law2013-01-05 00:46

    For the same money, there is a 1996 Ford L8000 with a smaller Cummings engine (he says 295 hp -- still more than the Ford 210 hp) and a newer turbo. I don't know about tranny or miles, but says has new radiator so I assume a lot of miles. We are using this on the 90 acres with a lot of dumping and hauling, and snow plowing an hopefully not too much long distance hauling. Is the turbo a lot of extra work/maintenance? I know the turbo adds a lot of power, but is it worth the extra maintenance/reliability?

  5. #5Dualie2013-01-05 04:20

    I have had HORRIBLE luck with rockwell RS series 2 spds that ford put in there medium dutys. The allison is most likely a non lockup 4spd auto, not a bad trans in its day and very serviceable. The diesel could be anything from 130Hp Ford/new holland 6.6L to a 3208 cat, or a fuel pincher (POS detroit) I would take the 175HP ford 6.6L over any of the other diesel options. I dont think the cummins came out in the f-800 till the mid 90's

  6. #6ben46a2013-01-05 20:41

    A turbo adds no real maintenance. All heavy duty diesel truck engines are turbocharged these days. Those old louisvilles are tough trucks, I'd much rather one over a medium duty F series, even though the allison trans is not a downfall by any stretch.