Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat truck

Dominion 410 ยท 2012-12-19 15:57

Hi, I've noticed a couple of the new Cat highway trucks on float service lately. Anyone have a chance to drive one yet? Dominion

Replies22
  1. #1ben46a2012-12-19 18:38

    Yeah I had one out for a rip. Interior is laid out nice but its pretty tight. The 475hp 13 litre works decent too. International engines of course.

  2. #2speedy2012-12-19 20:55

    I bob-tailed one. I wasn't terribly impressed. But to really tell, you need to have a loaded trailer and give it a real work-out. I didn't like the ergonomics of the steps and doors for getting in and out. The exposed airlines all around it didn't impress me much, either. They need to offer a model with a small bunk. Waiting for the 680 with the bigger engine to come out.

  3. #3coalroller2012-12-20 02:28

    mine should be in next month we orderd before the uria injection mandate not too stoked about having a glorified 13 letter sh spreader but my pete is about shook this one will have 550 horse cat I will post pics in the future. im a heavy hauler so it will get a work out

  4. #4Multiracer2012-12-20 08:18

    Coalroller Are you stating the "CAT" engines are still available in this new truck ?

  5. #5Tiny2012-12-20 10:01

    Last thing I read was Cat electronics and International power

  6. #6coalroller2012-12-20 10:13

    yes the 550 hp c15 is what will be in this one . but when we orderd we only had about 2 or 3 weeks to pull the trigger on the order. any orders after that would have that urea injected motor. mine will still be conciderd a 2012 truck i dont know what they are using in the 2013's if its a cat or international

  7. #7ben46a2012-12-20 14:22

    Its not entirely a cat engine. Its a C15 shortblock with and international designed head and fuel system called a CT15. The 13 litres are entirely international.

  8. #8coalroller2012-12-20 14:26

    so since we didnt realy reserch the truck too much we take it in the brown eye oh well in another 5 years i will have another new one if this truck isnt worth a darn then we will try KW i kinda wish we would have went with one of those to begin with i realy like how they look with a day cab

  9. #9Exact Express2012-12-23 21:41

    I had one for a day, had an automatic in it. Only pulled one good load with it, a D400. My right arm was flopping around so much, I can't remember what the truck was like.

  10. #1095zIV2012-12-23 21:44

    I was talking to a fella from Navistar itself and he told me that they build the trucks from the ground up and then put Cat emblems on them to finish them out. Also, the 15L is no longer an option and if you want one you'll have to go with a cummins. International is also going with the Regen/DEF combination because of the problems they are having with the current generation of regen systems and the Regen/DEF will cover them up to and through the next generations of emissions laws.

  11. #11Steve Frazier2012-12-23 22:26

    I saw one the other day pulling the Caterpillar parts trailer to the local dealer. The dealer has two on the lot.

  12. #12speedy2012-12-24 00:02

    Cummins will be supplying the DPF/SCR technology. I'm pretty sure that the 550HP will still be the Cat block in the Cat 680 truck. If you want bigger power in the International trucks, then Cummins will the the engine supplier.

  13. #13coalroller2012-12-24 00:43

    thats funny i rember when i finaly got around to taking my driving test (after a few years of running illegal) they made me take a volvo with a automatic i was amazed when i climed in the cab. look at the floor clutch, brakes, accelerator where is the stick. look around a bit more there it is on the dash *** is this i was thinking to myself then we start going down the road he docked me booko points for not having both hands on the wheel i was constantly grabing for gears. my right hand didnt know what to do

  14. #14Birken Vogt2012-12-28 09:13

    I read an article not long ago about how Navistar is going broke and fired their CEO over their (in hindsight) pig-headed decision to continue with massive EGR instead of using urea injection like everybody else did. It seems they still did not get under the emissions requirements and were paying a huge fine per engine that nearly broke the company, and might still break them for all we know. They thought they were going to take over the market because the trucking companies would buy the trucks that did not need to have urea added but it seems to me now that urea is pretty much the standard.

  15. #15Dualie2012-12-29 00:24

    they are also shutting down the garland Texas plant they build these in and they are shipping the production to Mexico.

  16. #16Greg2012-12-29 14:07

    International going broke again? Gee that sounds familiar. They did it a number of years ago too.

  17. #17JGS Parts2012-12-29 16:59

    Greg are these trucks built in the states or just put together there? I know they where going for the big push in aus and well by the sounds of things it just never really took off.

  18. #18Dualie2012-12-29 20:03

    they are shifting production of them to mexico in the next couple of months.

  19. #19Hendrik2012-12-29 20:19

    Well they are just Inters with a Cat badge but have Cat engines. I drove one a while back and the C13 had plenty of get up and go but the interior was too plastic. I think what hurt then is they stopped assembly in Oz and shifted it to the US and by the sounds of it will shift it again further south.

  20. #20Dualie2012-12-29 20:46

    All the new trucks are plastic. I really PO'ed the Pete salesman that was pushing me to complement the new interiors when i said it was very nice for freight liner.

  21. #21JGS Parts2012-12-29 20:53

    U know cat used to make a lot of parts in oz and support a lot of local mobs in oz also all that is gone now. honestly little hope left now for the little manufacture now.

  22. #22coalroller2013-01-07 21:13

    my truck is built I should be able to pick it up in a few weeks after the strobes, and headache rack are intalled the wet kit should be factory I think.