Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1988 JCB 1400b brake fluid?

puma1973 ยท 2016-08-23 10:06

Could someone tell me what i can use for brake fluid in my 1988 JCB 1400b other than " JCB special fluid"? I need to get some today and no JCB dealers near. It is just a home use machine and hoping there is a substitute fluid that will work without harming anything.

Replies5
  1. #1GregsHD2016-08-23 11:41

    I've had no problems using ATF, the JCB fluid is a 5W hydraulic oil, ATF is also 5W.

  2. #2puma19732016-08-23 12:00

    and that goes into the 2 reservoirs right in front of the steering counsel, correct? I only ask because i have seen multiple answers and don't want to screw things up as far as what fluid i put in. I have read mobil del 11, and also saw some thing about 80 weight powertrain fluid. I am obviously stupid when it comes to this thing. I noticed pedals go almost to the floor and figured the first place to start is with the brake fluid level.

  3. #3gcdoty2016-08-23 16:15

    I'm new to the JCB brake fluid issue too. I searched around and this is what I ending up using. It is mineral based. http://www.messicks.com/part/86541699ds/case-1-qt-hydraulic-brake-oil It is is kind of high priced but you don't need much.

  4. #4GregsHD2016-08-24 17:09

    Yep the reservoirs are in front of the steering console right by the windshield. The bleeder screws are down in between the rear tires and axle housing, easy to find. I found these units gravity bleed just fine. Whatever you do DONT put brake fluid in them, any hyd oil will work but the thinner the better, especially if you get cold winters. The unit I fixed up had automotive brake fluid added at one point, ended up replacing both master cylinders and piston seals. Also replaced the frictions and steels as they were in rough shape. Parts are easily available and not ridiculously expensive either!

  5. #5GregsHD2016-08-24 17:26

    Just looked up the specs of this oil, Spec gravity .83, pour point -51F, regular Dextron III ATF has a spec gravity of .84 and pour point of -43F. I would say unless you get weeks of -40F then ATF will be fine. The unit I put it in hasn't had any issues with the brakes even at -30F.