Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1988 JD 210c Alternator Wiring

conradb ยท 2016-12-06 18:15

Howdy all! New here, and I have a question about a replacement alternator, for my 1988 JD 210c 4x4 Backhoe / Loader. The wire connections on the back are labelled differently between the 2, and I don't want to make a mistake and fry the new one. The replacement unit has has 2 posts on the back, a large post with B+ label, a small post with D+ label by it, and a male spade with a W label by it. The old unit has a post with BATT by it, which I gather is battery. And there is a 2 wire plug going in the side edge of it with a red wire going connected to plug R1, and a black wire connected to plug R2. Also, there is a 4th, what looks like a black wire (lots of JD yellow paint covering the wires), with a connector that is tied out of the way. Too, the replacement looks like a 95amp Bosch unit. Not sure of the make of the burnt unit. I do have years of mechanic experience, but electrical has always been my weak suit, so I usually have to ask on stuff like this. Thanks in advance for any help. or a diagram for wiring it up!

Replies2
  1. #1Delmer2016-12-06 23:15

    W feeds the tachometer, ("Wild" three phase, or whatever) Obviously the big wire gets swapped to the other B+ big terminal. R1 and R2 don't mean anything to me. I'd look at some diagrams online of the bosch unit you have, and the unit you're taking off. There aren't that many alternator makers, Delco, Denso, Motorola/prestolite I think are most common on JD.

  2. #2conradb2016-12-07 21:04

    Thanks for the info! Figured out the other wires and where they needed to connect to which terminal. Electrical has always been my achilles heel. The obvious battery connector went to the B+, the other 2 oddly marked wires both went to the the D+ post, and the ground to the chassis. Everything worked great, with 14 volts showing on the multi meter, with the new unit, as opposed to 11.44 with the old one.