Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1988 Peterbilt 378 turbo questions

bsamot69 ยท 2025-12-31 19:26

1988 Peterbilt 378 dump truck, 3306 CAT diesel engine. Start the truck up and the exhaust is pushing blue white smoke. The turbo return line is leaking oil. The exhaust joints are dripping oil. Replaced the gasket on oil return, tighten the fasteners securing turbo and pressure washer the engine. Start engine and the smoke is noticeably reduced, however, after driving about town the return line to turbo is leaking oil and oil is dripping from exhaust pipe joints. The engine runs smooth and drives well. I suspected the turbo seal may be leaking , seemed to make sense. The turbo was installed in 2021. I removed the turbo. The exhaust outlet has a dry soot like deposit. No wet oil. I still need to pull apart the exhaust to clean and look at the oil accumulate.. the input to turbo is very clean. I used a smoke machine on the oil return to see if the seal is leaking which it is not. There is no back and forth play in shaft. The shaft moves side to side and does not hit housing. That's all I know. The pcv is a draft tube that is not kinked , though at this point I'm at a. Crossroads on how to proceed .

Replies0

No replies yet.