The alternator is squealing. I checked at the alternator with a voltmeter and it reads about 18 volts while running. When I pull off the wire closer to the engine block and run the engine, the alternator stops squealing. I think I need a new alternator. The one that is on the machine now is a bosch 14v and it has 2 plug connections on it. The replacement one I found says 12 volt and only has one plug connection on it. Will this work?
Might work??? I'd take the Bosch to a rebuilder and let them replace the voltage regulator, rather than trade your OEM alternator for an overpriced junk one, or a very expensive identical replacement. If you don't know a rebuilder, search for "auto electric" or an electric motor rebuilder that does starters and alternators.
Does the alternator have a black box on the back side? About an inch by 2 inches? Remove the two screws and see if there a couple of carbon brushes sticking out of it. That's the voltage regulator, if you have this style. Just buy another one and install it. Brushes need to be 5 mm long or longer for them to work on your used one. Bosch made them this style in the '70s and into the '80s...The only function of the regulator is to keep the voltage below 15 volts. So with you at 18, it's got to be that...
Hey, thanks Hombre, I'm not familiar with old Bosch alternators.
What is causing the squealing sound? It sounds like the fan belt is slipping. It only does this when the alternator is connected.
When it's charging that much it turns harder and is probably slipping the belt. As suggested, replace the regulator.
Yes, the squealing isn't a problem. With the load that alternator is trying to put out, you'd blow up the battery if it wasn't slipping. Hombre described the regulator, take that off and find a replacement, or take the whole thing to a rebuilder if you prefer.