Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ford 555 Hydraulic Fluid Dump

knightgang ยท 2016-01-10 08:25

I recently got a Ford 555 Backhoe. I do not know a lot about these machines, however I am mechanically inclined and I learn quickly. While Operating the backhoe digging stumps, I all of a sudden lost all hydraulics. While investigating, it became obvious quickly that something major came loose as there was evidence of a hydraulic fluid burst on the front of the engine (both sides) and it was fatally bleeding hydraulic fluid from under the front of the machine. I did not take time to investigate much, but I can say that from the setup, it appears that something under the reservoir let go. What is the best access to the area of the machine where the fluid reservoir and hydraulic pump are located? Also, is it common to have a pump fail on these machines, or would the likely issue be a line that either burst or came loose? One other thing, the fluid drained from under the machine looked as though it had water in it, it was milky like engine oil that had a head gasket blow. I am not sure where the water may have come from, but what is the best way to flush the system and it is likely that having water in the system may have caused my failure? Thanks

Replies7
  1. #1Delmer2016-01-10 10:00

    The leak will be where you find it And I would be surprised if oil that leaked out was NOT foamy from being released under pressure. If you think it has water in it, take some "clean" oil from the reservoir and drop it on hot steel, it will POP or sizzle if it has water in it, oil just spreads out and smokes.

  2. #2knightgang2016-01-10 12:57

    Yeah, got that. I was hoping for a little more info on exactly where the major components are positioned (pump location under res. for instance) and the best way to access. Trying to gather as much information as possible as I have to make repairs in the field at night in the cold.

  3. #3Delmer2016-01-10 14:31

    Sorry, I don't know fords. A hose is much more likely than the pump itself to be leaking. Or maybe there's a blown O ring, or leaky oil cooler...

  4. #4El Hombre2016-01-10 14:54

    Weak spot up front is the oil cooler inside the radiator. If you have a pressure washer, run it on hot water from the domestic water heater (hardware store has hose adapters that replace the aerator on a lot of faucets) spray some good grease cutting soap on the Exxon Valdez and once it's clean look at the bottom of the radiator while someone else starts the hoe. No pressure washer, hot water and a garden spray nozzle and the grease cutter. The key is to have hot water to cut the oil, that's what gets it really clean. I built my house and ran a hot water line to the back of the house just so I can use it with the pressure washers.

  5. #5knightgang2016-01-11 10:23

    I just got behind the grill, problem is a blown line, the one from the pump feeding the hydraulic manifolds. Looks like it come off the pump for about 28", maybe less, then connects to metal hardline halfway through the engine compartment. Looks like it will be a bear to get to the rubber to hardline connection, suggestions?

  6. #6knightgang2016-01-14 22:40

    I got the line off. Luckily, once the pressure line (the blown one) goes under the radiator and down beside the engine, it becomes the bottom line, so once I got loose from the pump, it was not to bad of a process to get the other end loose and pull it out. Putting it back in may not be quite as easy as getting it out, but that should be the hard part now that I know had the fitting and bolts go in... Now, I just hope my hydraulic shop can make a new one tomorrow and match the fittings that are on it. Wish me luck... hope it is back together on Saturday morning. I got stuff to do with it.

  7. #7knightgang2016-01-16 22:50

    Well, it is fixed. Luckily, my hydraulic shop is great. Messicks wanted $127 for that hydraulic hose. I walked into my hydraulic shop and walked out 15 minutes later with a new hydraulic line with the correct fittings for $63. It took a little while to get that line in and complete reconnected, but then it took 12 gallons of fluid to get the system refilled. But everything is working as it should.